• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fowler update

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamu

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I've build my Fowler almost a year ago and here in the next couple weeks I'm going to address some rookie build mistakes that I made. The first will be the sight.. I can hit a paper plate every time at 50 -60 yards or so but this little turtle sight drives me crazy... I had to file the sucker down to where it is a little hump. Looks like a short fat turtle and even though I can hit with it I want something with a little smoother transition on the barrel. One with a better sight picture. I want to use my tang bolt as my back sight but couldn't because the gun shot so low.. so I might go with an back sight of some sort.
20181230_212335.jpg
20181230_212541.jpg

I find the pointing and trying to concentrate on tang bolt or a mark on the back or check placement all inconvenient. I did the same thing with a TFC gun. Finely I got a new front sight and put ina rear sight. Ten times easier for me to shoot.
I’m about to build a smooth rifle as soon as my parts get in, and you can bet it will have a rear sight.

I second the rear sight. I fashioned a rear peep post that screws into a drilled n tapped hole in the tang of my smoothy. I used a thumb screw and drilled it and shaped it into a sorta ghost ring. Works like a charm.

By the by ... i like your turtle front sight.

Back