• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fowler ram-rod tip preference?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've got a new-to-me .62 fowler. Ram rod has a standard 3/8" straight sided brass cap with a tapped end.

It seems to me as if the ideal ramrod tip would be one of the flared-ends that can easily push down a wad or shot card without deformation.
A screwed loading/cleaning jag would also work, but there's potential for it to come unscrewed while out in the field.

In the event that I needed to pull a roundball or do some cleaning with a jag, I'd also want it to be tapped for screwing in such accessories. I've yet to find one that is tapped, however.

So I have two questions:

1) Does anyone make a flared ramrod tip that can easily load a smoothbore without a jag attached, and which is also tapped for installing cleaning jags, ball pullers, scrapers, etc?

2) What does everyone else use as a ramrod tip when out in the field where loading and cleaning are both necessarily done with the ramrod?

I have 2 smoothbores both are 12 ga. Both have ramrods that have a standard 3/8ths steel tip on the bottom an the flared tulip tip on the top. The tulip is very handy for shot loads an the standard tip for ball just like a rifle. The men that made my guns which is Joe Schell and Don Bruton made the rods when they made the guns but I also have blank rods an tips and can make my own when need be. If you cant make your own give track of the wolf a cal an give them the correct measurements an they will make you one or at least they used too

So I've got a new-to-me .62 fowler. Ram rod has a standard 3/8" straight sided brass cap with a tapped end.

It seems to me as if the ideal ramrod tip would be one of the flared-ends that can easily push down a wad or shot card without deformation.
A screwed loading/cleaning jag would also work, but there's potential for it to come unscrewed while out in the field.

In the event that I needed to pull a roundball or do some cleaning with a jag, I'd also want it to be tapped for screwing in such accessories. I've yet to find one that is tapped, however.

So I have two questions:

1) Does anyone make a flared ramrod tip that can easily load a smoothbore without a jag attached, and which is also tapped for installing cleaning jags, ball pullers, scrapers, etc?

2) What does everyone else use as a ramrod tip when out in the field where loading and cleaning are both necessarily done with the ramrod?

Hi David,

Personally, I like a tulip head on the end of the ramrod that sits near the muzzle and the other end with a threaded tubular end for screw in accessories. It not only looks more authentic, but the tulip head gives you something to grab onto when using a worm or ball puller threaded into the other end.

I would suggest a 5/16" diameter tubular threaded end as it should not get stuck in bottom of the 3/8" ramrod hole.

Ramrod tip, 5/16 diameter, brass, concave end, 8-32 thread, 1-1/4 long
Ramrod tip, 5/16" diameter, brass, concave end, 8-32 thread, 1-1/4" long
Ramrod Tips - Track of the Wolf

Gus

Hi David,

Personally, I like a tulip head on the end of the ramrod that sits near the muzzle and the other end with a threaded tubular end for screw in accessories. It not only looks more authentic, but the tulip head gives you something to grab onto when using a worm or ball puller threaded into the other end.

I would suggest a 5/16" diameter tubular threaded end as it should not get stuck in the 3/8" ramrod hole.

Ramrod tip, 5/16 diameter, brass, concave end, 8-32 thread, 1-1/4 long
Ramrod tip, 5/16" diameter, brass, concave end, 8-32 thread, 1-1/4" long
Ramrod Tips - Track of the Wolf

Gus
Thank you for the suggestion - I thought of using double ends, but my current 3/8 threaded end would not slide all the way into the hole just as you suggest. Hadn't thought of the advantage of having the flared end for better grip, but that sounds fantastic

Thank you for the suggestion - I thought of using double ends, but my current 3/8 threaded end would not slide all the way into the hole just as you suggest. Hadn't thought of the advantage of having the flared end for better grip, but that sounds fantastic

Got the idea off original fowler ramrod accessories, where the end of the ramrod that goes into the hole was a permanently fixed smaller diameter corkscrew worm. That and of course the smaller diameter threaded tubular end off problems some folks have had in the past.

The button on the end of a Brown Bess Rammer is also similar to a button head or tulip end piece and is DARN handy to get a grip when using a worm or ball puller with the rammer.

You are most welcome.

Gus

Back