• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fowler or Fusil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger94

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi Gang – (I apologize if this has been covered previously, I looked and could not find anything) I am looking to purchase my first smoothbore flintlock in .62/20 gauge. I am torn between a Fowler or Tulle. Main purpose would be for hunting in NJ & PA for pheasant/turkey/& deer. Historically accurate is not as important as form & function are to me. I consider my likes to be close to the Ruger Old Army – based on a older design, but made with modern materials for fit & functionality. So there is no need to get hung up if a gun is an exact match to older design.

If you had around $2,000 for your budget:

• What would you purchase?
  • From where would you order it from? (I would be using a builder, I am horrible with tools & such… any recommendations on a builder would be greatly appreciated)
Thanks!

Ranger94

There are folks that dont like him, but my go to for a gun like you said would be Sitting Fox in the White
In the white just means you have to and and finish, it could be fired as is, all put together.
The kits to in the whites to finished guns are close but not perfect copies.
He offers french colonial Dutch and English style along with early American
In the white will be about a $1600 gun.
Two grand is a lot of money, but there are guys out there with guns twice that, you do get what you pay fore, and I think Ray at Sitting Fox will do you right for the ball park your thinking

For VERY little more than a TVM, which is an overpriced gun IMHO, you can get a high quality custom with little to no wear patterns on it. Guys in this sport are getting older and are selling there guns off. You can find some excellent gun dealios out there.

You want a gun that will fit you. Architecture, weight, and balance are what really matters if not into specific history. I’d want to nail down those particulars with any builder or supplier. A lot of guys today would prefer a 7 pound gun to one weighing 8 and a half to nine pounds. Drop at the comb is critical for both quick sighting and felt recoil. A custom gun is not completely out of the question at this price point but you’d really need to be confident of the builders work and reputation. Someone could assemble a Chambers kit in that price range for you. The Chambers Pennsylvania Fowler in a 20 ga or New England Fowler in 12 ga would be good choices.

Last edited:
There are folks that dont like him, but my go to for a gun like you said would be Sitting Fox in the White
In the white just means you have to and and finish, it could be fired as is, all put together.
The kits to in the whites to finished guns are close but not perfect copies.
He offers french colonial Dutch and English style along with early American
In the white will be about a $1600 gun.
Two grand is a lot of money, but there are guys out there with guns twice that, you do get what you pay fore, and I think Ray at Sitting Fox will do you right for the ball park your thinking
I will have to say ray did me right. a few years ago he had "James frost" build me a jaeger in the white and it was built right. there was a few flaws with the walnut, not any reflection on James, he did a great job. but all and all I got what I paid for,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You need to hold both styles and go from there. I don't like the way that the French guns fit me. Because of that, I won't buy or build one. Without touching them and shouldering each of them you cannot make an educated choice that your going to be happy with. Once you know which style you want then you can find a builder or have your builder build the gun that will make you happy everytime that you shoot it.

I wanted a NWG till I got one, just didn’t fit me well.
I like a TFC.
I’ve drooled over a club butt.
Would I like it if I got one?

It’s a hard choice. It’s not just how it shoulders but how it feels when it shoots.
And how it feels when you carry it.
My smooth rifle feels great, a Lancaster design, on arm and on shoulder.
I built a Leman trade rifle. It was very unpleasant to shoot but was handy in the tall timber. I traded it off for less then the cost of the parts.
Sometimes you just don’t know till you own it

You need to hold both styles and go from there. I don't like the way that the French guns fit me. Because of that, I won't buy or build one. Without touching them and shouldering each of them you cannot make an educated choice that your going to be happy with. Once you know which style you want then you can find a builder or have your builder build the gun that will make you happy everytime that you shoot it.
I wish it were easier to find a place where you actually COULD shoulder a few! There are no shops near where I live that carry flintlocks (my preferred), except what Cabela’s carries.

Back