• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fowler build pics - DONE.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemeteor

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm finally done messin' with it.
This is final installment to the earlier build thread (just linked here).
Fowler build pics

any & all critiques welcome.
this was my first from a blank and first fowler.

/mike millard

Final1_zpsc1ea806d.jpg

Final4_zps66838e3e.jpg

Final3_zpsb55d03b1.jpg

Final2_zpsc3379f76.jpg

I like what I see Mike. Great job! You should be very proud. :thumbsup:

Now, let's see some more pictures. Enjoy, J.D.

Nice job. I like the patina.

Thank you for posting the build-a-long.

Greg

That lock inlay is awesome! That patina is awesome! THAT gun is awesome! Please, how did you finish that furniture?

That is gorgeous! I really like the way it tapers down to a nice thin look at the muzzle. Just plain beautiful.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Fine work and a great job on the patina. I like everything I see :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

thanks friends.
Been good-naturedly accused of hidin my scratchin' and carvin'.
so here it is for all to see. :shocked2:
the different color looks are cuz I'm using two different cameras - seems like neither one is exactly true to life.

Mitch - got an order for another southern mountain rifle - I may put some scratchin' on it and make it a heckuva mess.

/mike

FInalb7_zps0a51e643.jpg

FInalb3_zps0ebe769f.jpg

FInalb1_zps381a9e7f.jpg

MeteorMan said:
I'm finally done messin' with it.
This is final installment to the earlier build thread (just linked here).
Fowler build pics

any & all critiques welcome.
this was my first from a blank and first fowler.

/mike millard

:rotf:
hey guys, he thinks we'll have critiques
:rotf:

But on a serious note, it's hideous. Send it to me this instant before you turn to stone from looking at it! :wink:

I think it is lovely - very clean lines, very nice proportions.

Since you asked for critiques, though, I will go ahead and point out that the lock panels are a little on the large side for a NE fowler, judging from the pictures in Grinslade's book. On the lock side they don't look bad at all - most originals seem to be a good bit smaller, but a few are pretty close to yours. On the opposite side, though, you have a combination of a somewhat high front lock-bolt with a sidepanel that is a bit larger than it has to be, and the result is just a bit awkward. It would look better, I think, if you had brought up the bottom of the panel just a bit under the front lock-bolt and beveled the flat place next to the barrel (exactly opposite from where the pan is) down just a hair, in order to thin the front of the side panel out some. It is not a major issue, but I thought I'd point it out.

Back