• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fourteen Barrel Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some time in the late 1980's , Kit Ravershear built a copy of a "volley gun " , he had seen in the Tower of London Armory Museum. I think it was made of seven .50 cal. custom Getz barrels. We were at a m/l shoot near his home in Pa. , and all present that wanted to , got to shoot the odd rifle in an impromptu shooting match. The only thing I remember of the experience is that the weapon was fairly heavy , and the weight cancelled the recoil of the many shots fired at once. .............oldwood

Some time in the late 1980's , Kit Ravershear built a copy of a "volley gun " , he had seen in the Tower of London Armory Museum. I think it was made of seven .50 cal. custom Getz barrels. We were at a m/l shoot near his home in Pa. , and all present that wanted to , got to shoot the odd rifle in an impromptu shooting match. The only thing I remember of the experience is that the weapon was fairly heavy , and the weight cancelled the recoil of the many shots fired at once. .............oldwood

Kit loaded that thing, paid his dollar and took a shot(s) at the ham on a string event at our shoot one year. All the balls hit the backstop but that was all.

Hawkeye , yup , my impression was , volley guns might be ok to used on massed antagonists in a military venue , but not so effective for follow up shots , or accurate shooting.......oldwood

There is a new show on TV about the Pony Express called the "Young Riders" It is fictional and not PC but in a couple of the episodes they show the use of a volley gun.

Never seen anything like that. To state the obvious, if you were fending off a boarding party, or facing a line of bayonet wielding grenadiers, I'd take that one in a heart beat.

Well Kit was full of supprize's . The original or one at least in Belgium was made by Dupe from memory for Colonel Thornton who had great faith in such guns . 7 barrelled ones are not that rare ,But 14 are .Kit liked to experiment with Roman candle repeaters & Devolveing lock guns that fired by flint or percussion at whim . He made four ' Tower rifles' known now as the' 1776 muzzle loading rifles' by the same makers who supplied the Fergusson rifles . But I made one before he did going by info supplied by Kit & a Mr Cheel of Baltimore .We took photos of it at Kits house but he never mentioned it in his article ' My personal experiences with the 1776 Tower rifle '
He once told me "Don't fly your flag off my flag" as if I needed to sail under his colours. But I had my own but we where from the same stable in a way though in quality of finish my work was better .He reckoned most modern makers over built guns which is true of most long rifle makers but no one described my military pieces as "Fair to rough". Of the one East India company 'Lawrence's pattern musket ' now at the Leeds RA collection . Former Curator at the Tower Mr Rimer once said" It was the finest 18c replica he had seen". I took that as a complement .
Regards Rudyard

Well Kit was full of supprize's . The original or one at least in Belgium was made by Dupe from memory for Colonel Thornton who had great faith in such guns . 7 barrelled ones are not that rare ,But 14 are .Kit liked to experiment with Roman candle repeaters & Devolveing lock guns that fired by flint or percussion at whim . He made four ' Tower rifles' known now as the' 1776 muzzle loading rifles' by the same makers who supplied the Fergusson rifles . But I made one before he did going by info supplied by Kit & a Mr Cheel of Baltimore .We took photos of it at Kits house but he never mentioned it in his article ' My personal experiences with the 1776 Tower rifle '
He once told me "Don't fly your flag off my flag" as if I needed to sail under his colours. But I had my own but we where from the same stable in a way though in quality of finish my work was better .He reckoned most modern makers over built guns which is true of most long rifle makers but no one described my military pieces as "Fair to rough". Of the one East India company 'Lawrence's pattern musket ' now at the Leeds RA collection . Former Curator at the Tower Mr Rimer once said" It was the finest 18c replica he had seen". I took that as a complement .
Regards Rudyard
I believe this is the one in Belgium that was made for Thornton.

Kit was a good friend. Never did he deny me help on some project ,and always he had good advice. Spent many summer evenings around a camp fires discussing gunsmithing , American , Canadian ,British and overall world history , and of course , beer . He was a rare one..I miss him and his wit. ..............oldwood

Since the internal vents are quite big there should be little need to pick them I knew the one that was used in Sharpe's series and I made one other, Never heard of any problems ' quite big 'being about a full 1/16 th " The first one was' got up' by using the forepart of a Grice lock in front of a original back action continental lock with a cock from the Grice lock it got shot a lot .My one worked the only tests I knew of. It went to America no idea where is now . The one Harper carries about is just a dummy. No infantry man in his right mind would lug about such a impractical gun. But its fiction and cant matter .
Rudyard

Rudyard.........In a museum in Niagara Falls N.Y. , I saw another volley gun of a type perhaps from the American Civil War..Say 1865 ish... It was on a carriage w/flat bed , mounted on thin spoked buggy wheels . The surface where the .58 caliber rifled barrels are mounted is center of gravity between the wheels , w/muzzles toward the rear. Could have been perhaps 30 to 40+ gun barrels with only one percussion musket cap lock for simultaneous ignition of all . My impression of this device is obvious. Fire one volley and run somewhere safe to wipe and reload the gun. How useful would something be on a battle field??.................oldwood

Dear Oldwood Other than Waterloo (Re Enactment ) & Collodon Ive not been on a battlefield I had a musket & full kit at Waterloo . If non on Collodon Moor (Except the one in NY) . However There are some CW Battery guns Billinghurst Requeia ? Rings a bell could be others & me wrong. But the idea is old and would have to be dangerous at one end maybe both war being a messy business . Basic idea might suit a particular position a bridge say but they managed with just muskets at Antiedam I seem to recall .
Regards Rudyard

Latest posts

Back