• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOURbruary, ends 3-1-2012

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
This one is a sorta modified version of an idea I got from Many Klatch.
What we're gonna do is draw an X thru the center, going corner-to corner, of the target, a regular 8.5" x 11" sheet of printer paper, and take 4 shots. Try to put one shot, and ONLY one shot, in each of the 4 sections divided by the X thru the center. Each shot should be as close to the center of the X as possible WITHOUT CUTTING THE LINES!

You get 4 shots, ONLY! 4 shots. No do-overs!

Each shot will be measured from center of hole to center of target.
BUT:
Any shot that is more than half in it's own section but cuts a line will be scored at DOUBLE the distance to center of the target. If a shot is half way or more than half way across the line into an adjoining section BOTH of the shots in that section will be scored double!
If any shot cuts the center of the X ALL 4 scores will be doubled!

:hmm: There COULD be some strategy here...

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading firearms are allowed. Use a smoothbore, or a rifle, or a muzzleloading handgun (pistol or revolver)(NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock ignition.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand at 25 yards.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)

One target entry per member.

4 shots per target.

Mutilated targets and targets with more than 4 holes will be disqualified.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

Each shot will be measured from the center of the hole to the center of the paper.

The center of the paper will be determined by the judge.

The total of all 4 shot measurements PLUS ANY PENALTIES will be added together to determine final score.

Judges decisions are final.

Each members score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name must be written on your target so we know who won.

The contest runs thru February, 2012.

Mail your target in time that it will be received by March 1, 2012 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 22
Pekin, IL 61555-0022

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

This is kind of like a traditional V target on crack! Shooting paper and you don't have to wallow a hole in center, I'm in! :grin:

That certainly sounds like fun!!! I think I can get to the range to shoot this match..............watch yer top knot.............

I don't know if you'll be gettin anything remotely respectable :surrender: in the mail from me, but you just gave me a great idea of how to get the ambition to actually go out and do something fun Saturday afternnon when it's in the low 20's. Thanks! :thumbsup:

That's what it's all about. :thumbsup:
In the words of the Nappy Headed Hillbilly (one of my good rondyvooin' buddies), "I'm here for the people". :grin:

Well, heck... I think this will be a great reason to burn some powder. I will be happy if I end up with 4 holes in the target. :grin:

My biggest problem will be to keep each shot in a separate quarter with out touching lines! But it sounds like a good excuse to burn powder and take anti acids! :bow:

Alright, I just need to put a stamp on her and send her out. Jethro, can we have a mercy rule? As in, at some point can we not print out the results of the really bad ones? :grin:

Thanks for the reason to go shoot, I really need to work on my offhand shooting.

:haha: OK, if you completely missed the paper with all of your shot I won't post your score. :rotf:

Glad you had fun shootin'. :thumbsup:

I am happy to say that I have 3.5 holes in my piece of paper. If I had it to do over again, I would have made my lines a little bolder, and put my piece of paper on a darker background. Let me see.... Oh yeah, the sun was in my eyes, the wind was blowing.... Just give me a minute, I'll get ALL my excuses hammered out... :surrender: Like I said earlier, this was a great excuse to get out, I liked it.

Well come back and play again next month. I try to come up with something different, or at least fun, every month... sometimes 2. :thumbsup:

OK my target it on its way. Not impressive. I learned a valuable lesson about silver sights and shooting in bright sunlight. My target range faces west so I should have shot in the AM like I usually do but I went with mid afternoon. Looking forward to the next "challenge".... :rotf:

Jethro, My target will be in the mail today. My "strategy" was to hit the paper and leave the lines untouched. More seriously, trying to cluster shots closely around the center, but not cut the lines was challenging to say the least. Good practice for the NMLRA Postal Matches though.

Got my target ready for the mail tomorrow. I will say this was tough, first shot went right where I wanted it and then it went downhill fast. I have three holes in one section of the target. I don't know how you will score this but it is what it is...............watch yer top knot..........p.s. pride goeth before a fallen firing pin.

In the mail today. Got a Black Widow bite on my left forefinger, still can't bend it but swelling is down enough I could finally shoot.
Deadeye

Mine will be in the mail tomorra. I, too, learned a lesson: don't shoot when it's snowing.
Alas.
Pete

Well.....no, it's not. Seems that I left it in my shooting box in PA when I had to go off to NY. Hopefully, I'll get back to it before the due date.
(It ain't that great a target in any case.)
Pete

Back