Found War of 1812 gravesite

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

kelljp

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As a Son of Confederate Veteran camp member I was investigating a battle location for reported grave markers for fallen soild3rs of the event ( Carter's Raid). Instead I found a grave marker for a soldier from the 39th infantry from the War of 1812 covered in a briarpatch. Wonder if anyone knows if any historical groups tend these sites ?

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
There must be a million untended graves in the U.S. I used to access the NMLRA range at Friendship by a small back road when we lived there. One day I spotted a rock in the weeds that didn't look natural. I stopped and cleared away the weeds and found a headstone. Remarkably the engraving was still readable. It was the grave of a Revolutionary soldier. An officer, if I remember correctly. I didn't report the finding to anyone as I feared it might be robbed and desecrated. However, if that road was ever improved it just may have been bulldozed away.

robert31352

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just recently discovered my 6x grandfather. His name was General Byrd Smith. He died the day after the battle of New Orleans and is buried there. His grave is lost to history. He was a lieutenant in the Revolutionary War from Virginia.I can not find anything else about him, but still researching.

Gun Tramp

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone knows if any historical groups tend these sites ?
Responding to Jan. 20th post, I know...but just now reading the thread. A friend who is caretaker for our cemetery helps put out the bronze American Legion gravemarkers for Veteran's Day. Said they recently discovered they had a War of 1812 veteran and his grave is now decorated.:)

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So they are gearing up for Wreaths Across America at Arlington Cemetery this year..., it will be done (iirc) on Dec 18th. My wife mentioned it and I asked about the Vet graves at the local cemetery where her father rests. We don't know. The cemetery is small so it would not take long to spot and mark the Military graves there, since they are not numerous and have the same style markers as in Arlington. I shall have to see if anybody does anything special for those lads....

LD

kelljp

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you mentioned "Wreaths Across America ", I need to look into this more
Thanks

Whitworth

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Elk Ridge Mountain, Washington County Maryland
FWIW I cancelled my subscription to the Smithsonian magazine a few years ago after an article that decried the funds spent to maintain Confederate graves. I watched the magazine turn Pinko over the years but that was the last straw for this descendent of Virginians. BTW well done Sir on discovering and bringing him our attention and gratitude even though we don't know his name. 🇺🇲

William Lincoln

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We have a Family Cemetary, and all this makes me think that cremation and casting
ashes might be the best way. Imagine having your grave robbed by some future
scientist to study you and determine why you were a person who loved America,
or believed freedom was better than being a cyborg. Look at what happened to Tut?
Ripped out of his grave and put on display before gawking school kids. Confederate
Memorials are important-it is American History--you cannot erase that. The Left
would love to, because they are wishing to hide the "blood price" paid by Americans
in a war that resulted in the slaves being freed. Largely a "White" blood price.

appalichian hunter

62 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
There is a revolutionary war grave where my great great grandfather is buried I believe he was a Lt. Col. next time I am in the cemetery I will write down the info. and pass it along. We always put flags out on memorial day and his is one of the graves I flag.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
As a Son of Confederate Veteran camp member I was investigating a battle location for reported grave markers for fallen soild3rs of the event ( Carter's Raid). Instead I found a grave marker for a soldier from the 39th infantry from the War of 1812 covered in a briarpatch. Wonder if anyone knows if any historical groups tend these sites ?
Thank you for bringing this up. My War of 1812 Veteran Ancestor and his brother both came from Norfolk, Va. They aren't buried there, though, because they took their Soldier's Land Grants and moved to Kentucky. We have been trying to find their graves, but so far no luck. However, their ancestors are buried in Norfolk. My Sister found the family section there, so after the holidays, looks like she and I will go on a road trip to visit.

Gus

Latest posts