• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Found This Flask in an Antique/Junk Shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Punt gun flask?
More for large fowling guns such has the 4 and the 2 . The punts were loaded when on the water with a scoop which was shaped an fixed to the ramrod this was filled with powder then it was slide down the bore of the barrel and when at the breech was turned over to release the powder
Feltwad

Notice the scoop on the end of the punt gun ramrod

100_2822.JPG

Last edited:
Among others , Feltwad I have a common topped bronzed powder flask with woodcock in foliage and trees 21/4 to3drm. No maker's name (do you know who made it) and a very well used Mike Marsh rifle flash (better than the origonals)+ 3 small pistol bag shaped. One Fluted (appears unused) with "Cecil Brent" scratched around the neck-1/8th, 2/8th 3/8th throw.. Will try and mail some pickies.. OLD DOG..
Dear Greeenswldw. Photo would help but as a rule if the charger underside will be neatly hollowed its Sheffield. while Brum tend to be flatted . Both from the under side. At least on tops you can screw off to fill and double shutter' flash proof.' Mick Marsh made the finest flasks made in our times but he wound'nt call them' Flash proof' They where he told me he tested them ,but coundn't claim they where since nothings' Fool proof ' . I have one of his tops & a Steggles powder measure ,capper' & bore gauge . They where a pair of perfectionists . Re the flask a pic will help there is Rilings book but the late Ian Ford combined with DeWitt (& me) produced a great work on English flasks & excessoris .But the pre digital pics where thought inadequate , However I gather the work has been taken up hopefully we will get a good reference
Cecil Brent No idea but the vulgar fractions are found on some known Sheffield Dixons pistol flasks
Regards Rudyard

Thank you Lawrence. I too have one of the ' Scrotum' flasks they are a mystery, The top useually loose but all old no doubt .What the material actually is ?. But Camel seems as good as any .

The rough flask in its harness is so the charger is face down .The better to shield it from detris & wet .The Y shape improvement stops the other wise good Scoop/ Irish ? Charger settling horizontaly . The new Y shape makes it carry charger down and easier to use plus less likely to put a ding in your gun.
Thank you & Regards ' Your bloods worth bottling & labelling lolly water !' ( Considered a compliment in Australia )
Rudyard

You guys with the scrotum bags/flasks please post a picture. I have an old one I have always wondered what it was...
I'll see if I can find it in all this mess, I know it's here somewhere.

A long time Toot how long I cannot say but several decades , some have been family heirlooms belonging to my father and grandfather and go back to the late 1800s and maybe longer
Feltwad
now that is PROVINANCE!! thanks for the reply.

More for large fowling guns such has the 4 and the 2 . The punts were loaded when on the water with a scoop which was shaped an fixed to the ramrod this was filled with powder then it was slide down the bore of the barrel and when at the breech was turned over to release the powder
Feltwad

Notice the scoop on the end of the punt gun ramrod

View attachment 77273
thank's for the history lesion on the rammer with a scoop. I never knew that? is this one on display been shoot?

You guys with the scrotum bags/flasks please post a picture. I have an old one I have always wondered what it was...
I'll see if I can find it in all this mess, I know it's here somewhere.
T sent a raft of flask & Matchlock pics to Felt Wad including the' Scrotum flask' and the often found screw off horn 'flasks' .These are often thought to be gun powder flasks and indeed could serve as one. But they may be also be meant for other powders a sort of early plastic bottle . A gentleman known as' Peddler' used to turn up at the big NMLRA Rondes vouse had a dozen or more Scrotum flasks . He was noted for coming up with odd ball stuff .The rounded pair shape Lanthorn flasks are principally 18th c though the larger one had C P and Heraldic arms and the date 1642 marked on its leather cover This is the date of the outbreak of the English Civil War .I questioned its authenticity with The late Claude Blaire of the V&A Museum he doubted its added dateing but flasks of that sort span a long period , if I agreed it could simply be some Victorian ' Old Curiousity Shope 'faked inscription added offering . The smallest lanthorn flask is a gem it was evidently a cheap offering the edges simply glued leather & the paint all appear correct but the B net type fitting is very unusual . The elongated flask seemed to be boiled leather but its so sound it may be lant horn underneath all are the wraparound spring type bar the unusual b net capped one .The 'Deer' flasks are a mixed bag the standing two dear being an Indian copy of a cheaper Brum flask Ironically they didn't use the original common top but best quality double shutter' flash proof' Sykes Patent (of 1814 from memory ) . Note the small leather coverered flask I made use of a brass body of an Italian 'Florenteen" repo flask but the top was from Cawnpore the multey stamped' Sykes Patent' was just our testing the stamp so must be uneuque ? (These E machines cant spell for toffee). The various horn & horn flasks are my make over many years. The Aboriginee art being the design on the first Australian dollar note . The white stag flask was carved in Alice Springs but it came out of the Whakatane river washed up. I think its Rusa deer . The crude flatted horn with a opossum on it was made while possoming on the Mokanui river near Seddonville NZ winter of 68 illustrates the 'memory' boiled horn has as apposed to the heated till it nye melts to make it stay flatted like the Scots one . (Note the spanner like base extension to tighten up the jaw of the early form of Scots snaphance illustrated in the page photo.) This size is ideal for a bush trip all the bigger horns are needlessly capacious if fine when any volume of shooting is wanted such as clay shoot ,range, or wood pigeons . Non of this would make sense without the Photos . that hopefully have reached & not blown up Felt Wads E machine .
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
Just a few. The Woodcock flask I have never seen before. 3 pistol flasks.The fluted one is as new and scribed around the neck Cecil Brent. The middle one has seen much use and has a serious dent on one side.The other small one I use as a priming flask. The leather covered James Dixon was found in the hills on the West side of Loch Fyne some years ago. Obviously a Rifle flask marked 60 to 80 grns for a .450" Stalking rifle. The late owner must have fallen and lost it,his Gilly trying to get him(or her) to safety didn't bother about the flask. One of these days I will get round to making it good.. OLD DOG..009.JPG009.JPG

My only 'real' flask is one that my Dad converted to a lamp back when he was a teen, (mid 20s), made from a 'Civil'? War flask. It no longer has the old cloth wiring. But it is a memory that I use nightly.

The leather covered flask was still 1/2 full of a fine grade powder that I have tried in a .450" Henry with 70grns and a 45112 bullet. Velocity and energy both good at 100mtrs Appears to be about TS2 or Swiss 2. 100 plus years out on the hill and still gives usable results.

The leather covered flask was still 1/2 full of a fine grade powder that I have tried in a .450" Henry with 70grns and a 45112 bullet. Velocity and energy both good at 100mtrs Appears to be about TS2 or Swiss 2. 100 plus years out on the hill and still gives usable results.
Bullet should read Lyman 451112/43grns& from about 1870 to date is 150 yrs.. I wouldn't stand in front of that target..

Latest posts

Back