• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Found This Flask in an Antique/Junk Shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Leather with a dog embossed both sides. Extrapolating from one of my measures, if used for black powder it might have thrown 60-70 grains. But was it a powder flask or a shot bag?
It seems old, but I don't think so. The screw holding the spout and the funny triangular piece at the base seem modern.
I don't know if there were ever leather powder flasks. Gotta wonder about the powder/ leather interaction over time. And given enough wet weather the leather would be moist.
Anyone ever seen the like?

Attachments

• flask1.jpeg
    flask1.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 180
  • flask2.jpeg
    flask2.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 186
  • flask3.jpeg
    flask3.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 169
  • flask4.jpeg
    flask4.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 167
  • flask5.jpeg
    flask5.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 169
Leather with a dog embossed both sides. Extrapolating from one of my measures, if used for black powder it might have thrown 60-70 grains. But was it a powder flask or a shot bag?
It seems old, but I don't think so. The screw holding the spout and the funny triangular piece at the base seem modern.
I don't know if there were ever leather powder flasks. Gotta wonder about the powder/ leather interaction over time. And given enough wet weather the leather would be moist.
By the looks of it...the color...the wear on the leather, etc. I'd say it's old. Probably dates from the 19th century, and was probably used with a muzzleloading, percussion shotgun.

Definitely a nice find, I'm jealous of that one!!
Probably dates from the 19th century,
I wouldn't go that old,, Shot flask of course, English head,,
Almost a "hand stitched" look, but probably done individually by someone with a good leather stitching/sewing machine, a custom shop providing to a nitch market.
I'd date it 1920-1950's,,
Nice find,, can I ask? What'd ya give for it?

Great shot flask. You can see the markings where you can set it up for a 1 1/4 oz. shot charge or a 1 1/2 oz. If you tried to put powder in it, it would dribble out of the back slot. In the scene, it looks to me like a dog on point. Very nice.

A American repro shot flask hand stitched with a English type nozzle to throw 1/1/4 and 1.1/2 oz of shot .I use a shot flasks made by Dixon and Hawksley all the time .
Feltwad

100_1697.JPG

Last edited:
If you look carefully, you may find the maker's marking at the base of the spout.
On the one in the image of a original in the case , on the side of the sport reads A.M.Flask & Cap . Co which throws a measure of 1oz and 1.1/4 oz of shot , The leather body has stamped the weight when full of 3 lb
Feltwad

Here is an antique powder flask that I own. If you look at the one image you can make out where the maker mark may be on the spout. This one is Hawksley of Sheffield, England.

Attachments

• Hawksley1.jpg
    Hawksley1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Flask1.jpg
    Flask1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 62
I throw my lot in that it's a Shot Bag. Leather often used for them.

Definitely a nice find, I'm jealous of that one!!

I wouldn't go that old,, Shot flask of course, English head,,
Almost a "hand stitched" look, but probably done individually by someone with a good leather stitching/sewing machine, a custom shop providing to a nitch market.
I'd date it 1920-1950's,,
Nice find,, can I ask? What'd ya give for it?
$58

Here is an antique powder flask that I own. If you look at the one image you can make out where the maker mark may be on the spout. This one is Hawksley of Sheffield, England.
A nice flask keep it has it is , keep the brasso etc well away from it . I do not thing I have that one
Feltwad

A nice flask keep it has it is , keep the brasso etc well away from it . I do not thing I have that one
Feltwad
The design is uncommon could be export having the rings . The smaller Leather covered Lanthorn flask with oblong view looks like one of the Percy Tennantry. I have one look see if it has the Percy Crescent moon. I had a lot of flasks but went into just those with deer and old lanthorn flasks besides the double shutter flash proofs for field use mostly new Dixons, the best India, or Mick Marsh tops .
Regards Rudyard

Back