• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Found The Best Front Sight For My Old Eyes.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Ever since I was a kid I've never had a front sight I would call great Most Of my ML's came with a bead front and while not bad they were too wide. I took a file or dremel to every one of them to give me a more discerning sight picture. My GPR post is like a tree trunk so I filed a notch in the center and have tried various white, day glow, neon paints in various colors. All of these work fine in day light but as the day grows long trying to pick out my target, front sight and against a field/woods background is not going well for my old eyes. The best I've seen for my problem is fiber optics but the ones I have seen are too wide just like factory sights.
I was reading a post and some folks here knew their stuff on fiber optics and it gots me to thinking. After taking some measurements and looking at various diameters I went on line and ordered what I hoped would be my answer. After altering my front sight I took it to the range and lo and behold It works for me,. My personal answer is to epoxy a 1.5mm green fiber optic rod to my standard Lyman front sight. The post has enough flat on the top and the blade curves toward the muzzle. I cut the rod to the full length of the blade as one of the knowledgeable gents mentioned the longer the optic, the more light it gathers for brightness, something I hadn't considered before.
Our range has a roof over the tables and I was there on an overcast day. When I pulled the rifle back under the roof, the sight wasn't very bright but still better. What it did do was give me a finer sight picture as that 1.5mm is much smaller than the post and the "hump" of the optic showed off nicely above the flat top of the post. I pushed the muzzle forward a foot and the green lit up just like it should. Note that with gluing it on the I have no bulky hardware. I don't bust the brush with the GPR so I don't expect it to get torn off but if it does, I've got 4 more inches to cut up and glue back on. I haven't tried it in the field yet but I expect that for me this is the best I'm going to do with open sights and it's a great improvement both in visibility and finer sighting. The target agreed with me. These rods are available at various sites like ebay in your choice of colors and diameters. I thought that going down to 1.0mm was too small for me but it may work for someone else.

I have went to a fiber optic front sight. My eyes see red better. And a peep in the rear. It's not a real fine target sight for the best accuracy. But as a hunting sight it works pretty good. I do suffer the last few mins of legal shooting times.

20220210_052155.jpg

20220210_052122.jpg

How about a picture or two of your setup.
I have painted the back of my front sight with green neon paint, which works ok but your idea sounds better.

I have painted the back of my front sight with green neon paint, which works ok but your idea sounds better.
Paint made for painting fishing lures can be found in all sorts of colors , red and green are not such good colors for those who are red/green colorblind , but there some very bright blues available . Fishing lure paint is tough and chip resistant .

I'm sorry but I can't do pictures right now. I would think that you could just leave your green paint on and just epoxy a rod above it. Not sure what color. I know when I see vibrant red and green side by side it drives me crazy.

I did this years ago on a Ruger mkII pistol, it’s still there after many years of in and out of the holster. I used a piece of fiber optic from a bow sight I had.

Back