• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Found some musket caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregononeshot

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well after reading the post about no.11 caps finally showing back up, I decided to call the gun shop here in town to see if they have any. They don't have any black powder stuff so I wasn't expecting them to have any. To my amazement they had a bunch of cans of RWS musket caps! He said they just got them in and hadn't had any for a while, but did recently have some no.11's. I bought 3 cans, plan to give 1 to my father in law. Hopefully it's another sign of things showing back up on the shelves!

I even had a tin of the musket caps and a couple of #11 & #10 caps left over from the 1960s! Got more since then, of course, but it's a delight to find what you didn't know you had.

I even had a tin of the musket caps and a couple of #11 & #10 caps left over from the 1960s! Got more since then, of course, but it's a delight to find what you didn't know you had.
I opened a long forgotten box in my garage and found a tin of the old, good 6-wing CCI Musket caps and 3 tins of CCI #11's that I had probably bought 10 years ago at a gun show or something. I can thank my past self for buying these and forgetting about them.

Do RWS still make Their 1081 musket caps. Still have few.Never found anything Better -- Except Joyce(Eley) F3-16's. Doubt you had them on your side. A foiled Damp proof "musket size" without the flaired skirt.3 empty tins and ONE Full Unopened bought in late 60's.( Last on his self..).. Fiochhi used to make a Brass{a bit hard} No.11 that was unfoiled and corrosive but never missed and would usually clear a gun that had.. O.D.

I'm thinking about buying a pair of musket nipples and trying musket caps on my ol' dubbel 12 if I can ever get up to DGW for a visit. Anything I should look out for?

I'm thinking about buying a pair of musket nipples and trying musket caps on my ol' dubbel 12 if I can ever get up to DGW for a visit. Anything I should look out for?
The main thing to look out for is that the cups in the faces of your hammers must be perfectly centered on the nipples, so you'll have clearance for the larger diameter nipple tubes with musket caps on them.

The other thing you might watch out for is the brand name of the caps. I know the RWS caps are good and I don't recall hearing anything negative about Scheutzen caps, but I've never used them. The only CCI musket caps currently available are their "Reenactor" caps. I have used these with no problems, but I'm a lousy shot on a good day. Chatter on the various forums indicates these are less reliable in detonating your powder charge and accuracy also decreases when these caps are used. Again, I've not had those problems with CCI Reenactor caps, but a lot of people state that they have.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:

I came across a good deal on some CVA Musket nipples and put a couple on my old CVA SXS. I had to tweak the hammers a bit to get them centered but it works fine now. Since I had purchased a 1,000 Musket caps I put a Musket nipple on an old Renegade and it too works 100%. All I have are the new style CCI Musket caps so have nothing to compare them to but I have no complaints with the CCIs.

Back