• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Found identification markings.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooddaytoya!

40 Cal
Reaction score
This is that problematic 62 caliber rifle with a faulty lock and a weird front end of the barrel, etc etc. But I was sanding the breech plug last night, and out came distinct engravings. This is what they look like: crossed swords, making four triangles, top, bottom, left, and right. In the top triangle there is a solitary T. The bottom triangle has a solitary B. Left triangle, 299. Right triangle, 2007. My best guess is that this means Thompson center made the rifle in 2007, is number 299 of that production cycle, and the B stands for whatever model of rifle corresponds with the letter B. Am I close, or way off the mark? When I figure out how to post pics to this forum, I'll draw a picture of that figure, photograph it, and post the photograph.

Rub some chalk in the markings and photograph them, better than drawings. It would also help to have some photos from enough distance so we can see the actual locations of the markings. Overall photos of the gun will help too, can't have too many pictures.

The engravings are jet black from whatever gunk or coatings were on the breech plug before a sanded it. The breech plug is bright silver now, which makes the etching stand out clearly. So I have to figure out how to use macro and finish figuring out how to post pics to this forum

Go to "Muzzleloading Forum Announcements & Forum Help" near the top of the main page, the topic on posting pictures is about the 5th line down. I hope this helps. Good luck

Take a picture with a digital camera and save the image on your computer. Using your photo software size the picture to 1000 x 800 (approximate) pixels and give it a title. Click on the "Attach Files" button below and select the picture that you saved on your computer or if you are using a smart phone, select the picture from you picture files. The Forum has made attaching pictures easy.

I was sanding the breech plug last night, and out came distinct engravings.

This is what they look like: crossed swords, making four triangles, top, bottom, left, and right. In the top triangle there is a solitary T. The bottom triangle has a solitary B. Left triangle, 299. Right triangle, 2007.

That could be a variation of a Birmingham (England) Proof Mark used from 1868-1925

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/514-2

Nothing in that marking description makes me think Thompson Center. Not sure they ever made a 62 cal, and I don't think any of my TC's have marking on the breachplug. Also, TC was pretty much done making traditional muzzleloaders by 2007, with few exceptions.

Latest posts

Back