• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found an original double rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrubicon

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Today at one of the local gun shops I came across an original double rifle. It’s in very good shape, I’d consider it absolutely shootable. one barrel looks to be 20 bore, its smooth. The other barrel I’d guess is between 38 and 40 cal. It has two back action locks and both opperate smoothly. The set trigger isn’t working but the front trigger does work, very crisp also. It has a ramrod that has been carved for the patch, the gun is beautiful, lots of engraving and inlays very tastefully done. One of the hammers doesn’t match the other though. The shape is correct it’s just not engraved like the other is. There are no visible markings. The gun has a single wedge that is captured. The gun shop wouldn’t let me take it apart unless I was going to buy it. I’d like the buy the rifle but they are asking $2200. Are they off the reservation or does it sound like it’s in the realm? They don’t allow photos to be taken of their inventory so I can’t provide pictures. I’d like to get your opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

No photos…. Local gun shop, but won’t let you take the barrels off. Ask them to take it apart. If they handle firearms a lot, they should have some idea how to take down that thing. Other than that, did they give you any information regarding the item ? Did they let you check the barrels to make sure there were no charges in them ? That’s sort of a big deal. If they are loaded, they might not want to pull the charges. That could be a negotiating factor.

Like others have said, offer something at half or slightly below. If it’s a consignment gun, ask them to contact the owner to see if he can provide any information, and if he is willing to negotiate.

If all that fails, leave your name and number behind. Tell them to call you when they get tired of moving it around and having to dust it. :thumb: :cool:

I really appreciate all the replies! I know it’s like chasing a fart in the wind without pictures. I first noticed the gun a year ago, it was part of a very large estate that was being sold off, through probate. This gun, so I’m told was insured for 17k, I don’t know what to make of that? There Is no charge in either of the barrels as I can blow air down the barrels and get air out of the nipples. I live in Northern California and muzzleloaders are not a popular thing around here. I wish I could get photos as I trust the knowledge that comes from this forum. It’s a beautiful rifle, just a lot of money. I am a bit of a gambler though. I might just buy it so I can post some pictures, it’s a very unique rifle.

Is the gun a muzzleloader or breech loader?

I have a double with back action locks that was made sometime around 1890-1910. Mine is a breech loader in .450 Express (blackpowder) It has Birmingham, England proof marks, and also Edinburgh, Scotland on the side plates. It is a nice, old double rifle in what I believe is its original case. I want to shoot it, but haven't collected the brass for it yet.

I bought it at an estate auction together with a modern Italian made .450 Nitro Express double barrel. I paid a total of $5000. for both.

I think I really got a bargain, but then there are no elephants, rhinos, or lions to hunt here in Tennessee. I put the modern .450 up for consignment sale in a local gunshop. I was asking $5000. for it. After several months there was no interest whatsoever for such a shoulder fired cannon, so now it just sits in my gun safe.

BTW; I have fired the modern .450 N.E. Recoil is no worse than a 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge magnum.

I have purchased two ML double rifles and spent a lot more than that for each of them. You did not mention a name on the gun? If unmarked then that reduces the price IMO, depending on the gun.

Condition and name are the two most important driving factors for value IMO.

Fleener

Is the gun a muzzleloader or breech loader?

I have a double with back action locks that was made sometime around 1890-1910. Mine is a breech loader in .450 Express (blackpowder) It has Birmingham, England proof marks, and also Edinburgh, Scotland on the side plates. It is a nice, old double rifle in what I believe is its original case. I want to shoot it, but haven't collected the brass for it yet.

I bought it at an estate auction together with a modern Italian made .450 Nitro Express double barrel. I paid a total of $5000. for both.

I think I really got a bargain, but then there are no elephants, rhinos, or lions to hunt here in Tennessee. I put the modern .450 up for consignment sale in a local gunshop. I was asking $5000. for it. After several months there was no interest whatsoever for such a shoulder fired cannon, so now it just sits in my gun safe.

BTW; I have fired the modern .450 N.E. Recoil is no worse than a 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge magnum.
It’s a muzzleloader.

No name, shotgun - rifle combo.
Sounds like:
Cape Gun from Birmingham for Export.
Aka: low quality compared to Loudon.

Double rifles are always gonna be EXPENSIVE. It takes a lot of effort to regulate those barrels so they hit the same point of aim at a specific distance. That said, it don't mean you got to pay the asking price on something that may blow up the first time you shoot it. I generally don't shoot antiques... especially muzzleloading antiques. I've heard some stories...

I really appreciate all the replies! I know it’s like chasing a fart in the wind without pictures. I first noticed the gun a year ago, it was part of a very large estate that was being sold off, through probate. This gun, so I’m told was insured for 17k, I don’t know what to make of that? There Is no charge in either of the barrels as I can blow air down the barrels and get air out of the nipples. I live in Northern California and muzzleloaders are not a popular thing around here. I wish I could get photos as I trust the knowledge that comes from this forum. It’s a beautiful rifle, just a lot of money. I am a bit of a gambler though. I might just buy it so I can post some pictures, it’s a very unique rifle.
How are the bores, waaayy deep down? You can't sell me a gun I can't inspect.

Back