• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Found a nice looking old rifle with issues (Need Help)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is nothing that cannot be repaired by a competent gunsmith. go for it! give the gun a new breath of life.

I'm on the keep stuff as original as possible crew. Several of my old ones have bores that looked like sewer pipes but cleaned up quite a lot with elbow grease. I'm more leary of old, dried-out wood than most anything else.

If it looks like a crack or it looks like it might crack ....it'll probably crack.

Rudyard, to a point I agree with you,but if the gun can brought back into SAFE shootable condition I say go for it. Guns were made to be shot. Even the older ones.

The lock can be fixed, that barrel on the other hand is another story. It would need to be either sleeved if possible, or re barrel the gun to make it a shooter.
If only it were a smaller caliber, then Bobby Hoyt could just re bore it. Not sure if the wall thickness is enough to hold up to sleeving it

Yea the lock has the same branding marks the original did he says he ( shop owner) is going to find the orignial lock to give to me so that I can put it back on and have both locks repaired so that I'll have a spare. All it needs is the lock mainspring (hopefully) and a front sight and she will be back in order but before I buy I want to know I can get it working. Im not a wallhanger person if I own a firearm it needs to work properly.
Amen!

Try Cabin Creek Muzzleloaders in Hallam, Pa. near York, Pa. They make their own springs and a lot of other items plus building long rifles.
I agree completely. The Emigs at Cabin Creek are extremely good at this sort of thing. Your lock will be repaired and tuned.
Hallam, PA is about a 2.5 hour drive from you. But if you want to visit call for an appointment first.

Imoa aI believe the men who built these masterpieces would be ecstatic to know the very piece they toiled over is still operational x amount of years later

Back