• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found a nice looking old rifle with issues (Need Help)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Earlier today I was in a Forestry Training course in Harford County and stopped in a little shop on my way home that sold antique firearms. I just wanted to look around, but I got bit and it caught my eye. There was this rifle and it looked really good with a long barrel. I asked the shopkeeper if she could pull it off the wall and look at so she abliged and showed it to me. Her husband came out and told about it. The rifle is a .54 caliber, 45" barrel Schimmel rifle with a Jacob Goulcher lock. Bore is good it even holds good and isnt muzzle heavy so I decided hey what the hell I gonna buy her. Then tragedy struck. The Mainspring is worn and the lock does not function properly. He told me the lock is not the original for this rifle but is a period correct original lock that just happened to fit that he bought and installed to make her work again. The rifle was missing its original lock. The rifle's lock also doesnt not have a half cock cut into it only a full and the front sight is missing. He said he was able to proof test the rifle by striking the flint manually (he has video evidence which means he has bigger cahunas than me to do that with an original). My question is could I buy a lock and have it installed to make it work again. Like take it to a place like Dixon's Muzzleloaders and have them install a L&R or Siler lock or even do it myself ? Or is it out of the question to make this thing work. I put a deposit down just in case I cant fix it so I dont have the rifle purchased yet. I figured I would hold down the rifle until I can find a fix to my issue here. If anyone has a Goulcher lock to sell I will buy at any price within reason lol. I'll post a picture of the lock. Thank you all for the help you provide. Edit: Sorry about such large image thumbnails I posted these with my computer and may of hit a few wrong things when transferring them from my phone.
Camera_1_ry.jpgCamera_2_y.jpgCamera_3_.jpgCamera_4_e.jpg

Attachments

• Camera_4_e.jpg
    Camera_4_e.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 68
Not knowing anything about the rest of the rifle or the price I would say it's in good condition and the lock fits nice. I would be tempted to repair the, well not quite original, lock before replacing.
Can you repair a worn out Mainspring ? I doubt I can find another goucher lock mainspring. It also isnt cut for a half cock which is concerning to me as I would like to have a half cock option for safety reasons.

Earlier today I was in a Forestry Training course in Harford County and stopped in a little shop on my way home that sold antique firearms. I just wanted to look around, but I got bit and it caught my eye. There was this rifle and it looked really good with a long barrel. I asked the shopkeeper if she could pull it off the wall and look at so she abliged and showed it to me. Her husband came out and told about it. The rifle is a .54 caliber, 45" barrel Schimmel rifle with a Jacob Goulcher lock. Bore is good it even holds good and isnt muzzle heavy so I decided hey what the hell I gonna buy her. Then tragedy struck. The Mainspring is worn and the lock does not function properly. He told me the lock is not the original for this rifle but is a period correct original lock that just happened to fit that he bought and installed to make her work again. The rifle was missing its original lock. The rifle's lock also doesnt not have a half cock cut into it only a full and the front sight is missing. He said he was able to proof test the rifle by striking the flint manually (he has video evidence which means he has bigger cahunas than me to do that with an original). My question is could I buy a lock and have it installed to make it work again. Like take it to a place like Dixon's Muzzleloaders and have them install a L&R or Siler lock or even do it myself ? Or is it out of the question to make this thing work. I put a deposit down just in case I cant fix it so I dont have the rifle purchased yet. I figured I would hold down the rifle until I can find a fix to my issue here. If anyone has a Goulcher lock to sell I will buy at any price within reason lol. I'll post a picture of the lock. Thank you all for the help you provide. Edit: Sorry about such large image thumbnails I posted these with my computer and may of hit a few wrong things when transferring them from my phone.
View attachment 135248View attachment 135250View attachment 135251View attachment 135249
I'd sure fix it! Main springs are easily made or annealed, re-bent and re-heat treated. I really like the throated hammer and pan construction with the flash shield at the rear. It also has a bridled frizzen. All the good stuff one wants is already present. Now if the lock works is bridled I don't know how you could do any better. If there is room on the lower hammer drum a half cock can be cut with a carbide end mill but a fly will need to be made and installed to keep the sear nose from catching.

what is worn out about the mainspring? is it broken or just weak. either way it can be fixed.
I believe its just weak the lock does set back at full cock but there is little tension upon drawing the lock back. When you pull the trigger it kind falls flat on its face instead of giving the frizzen a healthy strike.

I'd sure fix it! Main springs are easily made or annealed, re-bent and re-heat treated. I really like the throated hammer and pan construction with the flash shield at the rear. It also has a bridled frizzen. All the good stuff one wants is already present. Now if the lock works is bridled I don't know how you could do any better. If there is room on the lower hammer drum a half cock can be cut with a carbide end mill but a fly will need to be made and installed to keep the sear nose from catching.
I have been readin up on these locks and back in the day a lot of sporters thought of a half cock as a neccesity for Military Drill and soldiering and not for game hunting. I'd still like a half cock although I guess a leather lock stall would work too.

That’s a good looking lock, I’d get it repaired and whilst it isn’t original it looks period.
Yea the lock has the same branding marks the original did he says he ( shop owner) is going to find the orignial lock to give to me so that I can put it back on and have both locks repaired so that I'll have a spare. All it needs is the lock mainspring (hopefully) and a front sight and she will be back in order but before I buy I want to know I can get it working. Im not a wallhanger person if I own a firearm it needs to work properly.

My first thought would be cost, if it can be had at a decent price the lock can be repaired. When I buy original guns the bore is always my main concern because that is the most expensive thing to have repaired, stocks come second if it's cracked can it be repaired. Everything else including the lock can be repaired and generally doesn't cost that much, a whole new lock would only set you back a little over 100 bucks.

My first thought would be cost, if it can be had at a decent price the lock can be repaired. When I buy original guns the bore is always my main concern because that is the most expensive thing to have repaired, stocks come second if it's cracked can it be repaired. Everything else including the lock can be repaired and generally doesn't cost that much, a whole new lock would only set you back a little over 100 bucks.
Bore is the best thing that comes out of this rifle. Ran some patches and not tearing or even strands sticking. Rand a borescope down and it was oily but decent. The finish of the rifle has aged. The only damaged is the front sight broke off or was removed at some point (beside lock not working right).

That lock looks (if not original} a good copy of a late 1700's early 1800 English sporting or rifle water proof lock. Haven't seen the rest but if it's like the lock and cheap enough _BUY IT.. if it's smooth bore and rough have it sleeved to a smaller bore or a nice light Game rifle. .451"Henry (not PC) but would be good to 4/500 yards. It wouldn't hurt too much and you have a wide choice of bullets . Ask David.. O.D.

Last edited:
Back