• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Found a Good Way not ot Dryball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Over the years I've accumulated quite a few quick loaders of various kinds, always wanting to take advantage of design improvements. I would stash them in my various bags and cases as I went to the range or field. I would only take 4 or 5 while hunting figuring if I didn't have a deer on the ground after 4 shots I should probably call it a day. One day before heading to the range I decided to gather all of my quick loaders up into one place. I found that after many seasons, I had empty and and also full loads ready to go. I ended up with about a dozen already loaded and headed out. At the range, I was able to get a lot more shots off in shorter time and it turned out to be a really good day punching holes. As I was getting near the end of my preloads I realized that even though there were quite a few distractions that day, the fact that i was using preloaded tubes meant that unless I was being a total dunderhead I had (ALMOST) no chance of putting a ball in before the powder. Since then I load up my tubes at home where I can recover any spilled powder and clean up any lube that isn't where it should be. Makes things go so much easier at the range and I expect i won't need my ball puller any time soon.
As a side note, those loaders that have the a short starter built into the design work really well, at least for me!

I do something similar. I always use pre-measured powder charges. If I have ten tubes, I put out ten balls and ten patches. Very easy to stay on task.

ADK Bigfoot

Over the years I've accumulated quite a few quick loaders of various kinds, always wanting to take advantage of design improvements. I would stash them in my various bags and cases as I went to the range or field. I would only take 4 or 5 while hunting figuring if I didn't have a deer on the ground after 4 shots I should probably call it a day. One day before heading to the range I decided to gather all of my quick loaders up into one place. I found that after many seasons, I had empty and and also full loads ready to go. I ended up with about a dozen already loaded and headed out. At the range, I was able to get a lot more shots off in shorter time and it turned out to be a really good day punching holes. As I was getting near the end of my preloads I realized that even though there were quite a few distractions that day, the fact that i was using preloaded tubes meant that unless I was being a total dunderhead I had (ALMOST) no chance of putting a ball in before the powder. Since then I load up my tubes at home where I can recover any spilled powder and clean up any lube that isn't where it should be. Makes things go so much easier at the range and I expect i won't need my ball puller any time soon.
As a side note, those loaders that have the a short starter built into the design work really well, at least for me!
what brand of tubes do you like the best

I had to look them up but they are Thompson Center™ 4-in-1 Quickshot .
I shoot only maxis and these are the quickest I've found. It has the small side compartment for primer or cap but you have to be careful when charging the barrel that you don't pour out the cap too. I just use my thumb. Powder in, turn it around and line up the base of the maxi and smack it down. That's usually enough that I can use my rod from there.

When I was looking these up I saw that there are others like it. None of the double ended tubes I've owned have dividers & some powder sticks to the maxis which is messy. The advantage of them though is you can use your shorty right thru the tube to start it.

When I'm at the range, especially doing some load development, I use plastic tubes to hold the charges. They were designed for medical centrifuges and are cheap on amazonia. The other thing I use them for is when I'm instructing. Not having to dispense each charge at the loading table clears up some complexity for the new shooter. I made a tray with lots of holes that the tubes fit into to keep them organized. I've been told it bears a more than passing resemblance to the tray used in church communion services.

Back