• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Forum War! East vs West! Ends August 30, 2012

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The East had at least 3 flint guns and 2 cap guns. The other 3 I do not know.
T.O., makeumsmoke, and myself were shooting flint, and I believe Maven also shoots a flinter but he didn't specify.
Buford and Stormcloud both shot cap.
58Caliber and MDK_WV did not specify either. Maybe they and Maven will chime in here and let us know.

Our target totals were;
8.281 flint
8.347 cap
10.631 ?
10.794 cap
11.331 ?
11.562 flint
13.346 ?
14.448 flint

calibers;
.32-1
.36-1
.45-3 (I think, one of them was not specified)
.50-1
.54-2

Western scoring went something like this -

6.501" - .50 cal Ignition not specified
6.995" - .50 cal Ignition not specified
7.207" - .50 cal Ignition not specified
12.494" - .54 cal Percussion cap
16.400" - .50 cal Ignition not specified
18.472" - .54 cal Ignition not specified
18.844" - .50 cal Percussion cap

Some of the calibers weren't specified but were determined by comparing with known targets.

DAD GUMMIT!!! I KNOWED I SHOULDA GONE N SHOT!!!

Assuming you fellers are using an average of all shots recorded, that gives the east more n an inch and a quarter on us westerners!

I figgered:

East: 11.093"
West: 12.422"

Difference: 1.329" in favor of them easterners!

(Truth be told, I couldn't have done better, I still need to take the time to work up a good load for my .50 before I go entering any of these team contests :redface: )

Jethro, Although I own 2 flinters, a .62cal. smoothie & a .54cal Isaac Haines, I didn't use them for the match as neither is regulated for 50 yd. shooting...yet. The gun I used was a .50cal. Mowrey caplock using a .495" patched RB. Sorry to say, while shooting it for record, and later at 25 yds., I learned that the rear sight was out of position (since corrected).

I shot my target with a percussion .50 cal TC Hawken, with button rifled 1:66 slow twist barrel.

Jethro224 said:
Now yer tellin' me I gotta find somebody with good character AND sound judgement both at the same time...
:hmm: This may take some doin'. Let me get back to you.

I have my Second!
A man with good character, sound judgement, lives East of the Mississippi, is held in high regard by his peers, AND can shoot a pistol pretty darn good when called upon to do so.
Pete D. has agreed to be my second in this here duel we are fixin' to have. :hatsoff:

That would be me.
Having read through the Code Duello as it was adopted at the Azzizes of 1777, I suggest that we jump to rule three in consideration of the probable fact that the challenger is going to need two shots in any case.
Venue and additional parameters to be decided.
Pete D.

Thank you for the info on the arms and actual scores!
Your nominee as second is acceptable, providing he can produce testimonial documents sufficient to establish his status as a gentleman to the satisfaction of my second: Major Mapoles, though not yet recovered fully, has agreed to act on my behalf, considering (in true gentlemanly fashion) our late dispute to have been properly settled and therefore no bar to his doing so.
I take the liberty of directing the attention of your appointed second to rules 10 and 11 of the Clonmell code, specifically directed to cases in which the reputation of ladies may be impugned.
I would also, though, perhaps, immodestly, direct your attention to the fact that in the recent exchange of fire between East and West, the top three Western scores, of which one was (Ahem!) mine, were somewhat better than any of those shot by an Easterner...
mhb - Mike

To all those members who fought on my side and to those who fought against me, I'd like to say that I really enjoyed the interaction. A few years ago I got acquainted with Jethro in a similar contest and although we've never met in person, I'm proud to call him a friend.

Thanks guys for making this such a fun contest. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: GW (Lon)

Mhb: Good shooting, sir.
There are a number of questions which need to be answered. The subject of gentlemanliness - that code cited was accepted by the Azzizes in Clonmell, Ireland. Perhaps those "gentlemen" had a desire to prove their pedigree to each other but this ain't Ireland and in this country one man is a good as another. So....there will be no papers. You may accept me as a gentleman or not. It matters little to this affair.
This affair.....a matter of misinterpretation by at least one inhabitant of the West - the comment by my good friend Jethro, as fine a judge of feminine pulchritude as has ever walked the fields East of the Mississippi, was obviously a compliment to the beauty of the western dwelling female. No explanation of that was needed.
In any case and further, the Azzizes, if they were to be followed, plainly state that the insult in question would have been delivered to "a lady under a gentleman's care and protection". Since the compliment was delivered as a reference to western women in general, there is no singular lady in question. This understanding is amply supported in rule #11 of the Code Duello by the reference to "the lady". One lady under the protection of a gentleman.
The challenger is simply looking for an excuse.
Pete esq.

Mr. D:
It is somewhat improper for a second to have direct contact with the opposing principal in an affair of this sort. However, to avoid unnecessary delay in appropriate settlement, and because my second, Major Mapoles, is not readily able to participate in this fashion (online), I am perfectly willing to conduct the anticipated rencontre in the more informal fashion of the West.
As to the initial casus belli - the objectionable speech of Gen'l J., you should know that any Southern/Western gentleman considers himself a proper protector of any gentlewoman, or the gender as a whole, unless the specific female or subgroup thereof is certainly known to be outside the bounds of the appellation - and the imputation of such by an Easterner would, of itself, be an actionable offense.
As Gen'l J.'s words were apparently directed to the entire class of our womenfolk, and as he chose not to apologize for any misunderstanding caused by his (in my view) objectionable choice of language, nor explain himself in other than a rather arch manner, I must hold that the initial offense stands.
Take advice with your principal, and you will find me, and such other Western/Southerners who may feel as I do...
At your service;
mhb - Mike

This is fixin to git purdy interesting. Much more so for us Southerners/Westerners, considering as the groups listed above prove without a doubt as to who the real shooters are, but that is irrelevant. On one hand, i can see where the comment made was a compliment or an insult, depending on the tone (which is kinda hard to tell seeing as we're typing and not talking), but hey, any excuse for us all to get together and do some shooting is a good one in my book.

Lone:
I expect you will want to asist in upholding the honor of the West.
As soon as the details of the affair are worked-out, I will see that all my fellow Westerners (and, of course, the Easterners, if they are inclined to support the position taken by Gen'l J.), are advised.
mhb - Mike

I currently do not have a ML pistol, but am not above using a rifle or my SxS 13ga one handed, or watching from a nearby tree line while cuddling with a rifle to make sure those Eastern rascals keep their word and do in fact behave like the gentlemen they claim to be. I really need to correct the deficiency of lacking a pistol.

Lone:
Yes, indeed. A gentleman needs a pistol, if for no other reason than defense of honor.
However, I can point out that our late, lamented Vice President, Alexander Hamilton, went to the field of honor with a borrowed pistol, as was quite acceptable.
Hmmm. On thinking about that, and remembering what happened to Hamilton, perhaps that was not the best example...
But, really, the pistol was not at fault, being one of Wogdon's fatal best.

'Hail, Wogdon!,
Patron of that Leaden Death
That waits alike the Bully and the Brave!
As well might Art recall departed Breath
As any Artifice your Victims save'.

I feel certain you will make the right decision...
mhb - Mike

Lonegun1894 said:
I currently do not have a ML pistol, but am not above using a rifle or my SxS 13ga one handed, or watching from a nearby tree line while cuddling with a rifle to make sure those Eastern rascals keep their word and do in fact behave like the gentlemen they claim to be. I really need to correct the deficiency of lacking a pistol.

Just to show that I have no bad feeling toward the Western contingent, I am willing to send you a hacksaw so you will be able to assist Mr. mhb in his ill-advised endeavor.

Latest posts

Back