forum problems

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Support' started by Rifleman1776, Jan 14, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 14, 2019 #1

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

I hate complaining about something that is essentially free. But I have been having some serious problems with our forum lately. This issue does not happen with other forums or websites I use so I'm convinced it is a TMF thing only. Specifically, I believe some of the ads here invade our/my computer and freeze it up. After using the forum for a half hour or so my 'puter just freezes and will not allow posts. A typed character can take a whole minute to appear on the screen. Some of the advertisers flood my Yahoo mailbox with many mailing each day even though I have attempted to unsubscribe. When I started this post a Google pop-up came up that wanted me to add some kind of extension. I have tried going down that rabbit hole in the past and that has only added to the problems. I understand the new owner of the forum is trying to make a profot from the ads. But, if others har having a simil lead to an end of the forum entirely . And no forum no ads, no ads, no profrofit.BTW, I am typing blind as my characters are not appearing on the screen and I have received an "unresponsive"notice.

2. Jan 14, 2019 #2

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

No problem like that here. You know you can shut the ad's off. Just click on the little man right hand corner and then click Preferences, mark the box that said's Disable Advertising and click save. But it sure sounds like you have a bug in your PC, can't help you there.

3. Jan 14, 2019 #3

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

62 Cal.

What browser are you using ?

4. Jan 14, 2019 #4

Coot

Coot

Coot

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

Nothing like that here. Sounds like your computer has a virus. Wish I could help but Mrs Coot is the hi-tech half of this household.

5. Jan 14, 2019 #5

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

Addblock and virus protection. Both are your friends. No issues here with computer tablet or phone.

6. Jan 14, 2019 #6

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

SDSmlf

40 Cal.

What anti virus software are you using?

7. Jan 14, 2019 #7

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

While Rifleman's going to his Preferences area and marking the Disable Advertising button he might want to also put a check mark in the box for "Opt out of sidebar" and then poke SAVE.
    Sidebar is the ad section along side the rest of the pages that also shows ad's and might cause problems for his computer.

8. Jan 15, 2019 #8

2kuz

2kuz

2kuz

Administrator Staff Member Admin MLF Supporter

Yea that def. sounds like a virus. Other then official forum e-mails you won't get any advertisements in e-mail form from this website.

9. Jan 15, 2019 #9

necchi

necchi

necchi

Cannon MLF Supporter

Geez Wes, that happens a lot huh(?)
    I'm Brasstacks up here in Minn from Carls old forum, friends with Dave and Riley
    Trust me with this one. click this link,, then the yellow "Download Free Edition" then follow all the "prompts" to let your computer install it.
    It's safe,,
    It's gonna take some time, (perhaps a couple hrs) cause it has to tell your computer to accept it,, then it's going to have to "load" it,, you might have to re-boot for the install;
    https://www.superantispyware.com/

Now-a-days everyone has to run a "program" like this a couple times a week,, them spyware and ad guy's are smart. Every-time we figure out a way to beat it,, they find another way get back in.
    You do that,, then when you have more questions,, contact me,, a PM is called "Start a conversation" now,, you can get there the same way,, click the name

10. Jan 15, 2019 #10

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

ESET. I got a 6 pak and use it on the computers here, my laptop, my tablet. In the 4th or fifth year now, works like a charm and runs quietly and unobtrusively.

11. Jan 15, 2019 #11

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

Yep. I did both, cleared things up right away. I had overlooked those options previously. Some of the ads were very dangerous to my computer.

12. Jan 15, 2019 #12

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

Thanks all.

13. Jan 16, 2019 #13

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

Well.......the honeymoon didn't last long. Computer still running fast and smooth. But, this a.m. I started getting frequent pop-ups (got one right now) from Discount Tires. Very annoying, covers about 1/4 of the monitor screen. Comes up about every minute and I have to click away.

14. Jan 16, 2019 #14

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

If it does this while your on the MLF, go back to your little man > Preferences and make sure the two ad blockers are still checked. If they are not, re check them and don't forget to SAVE before you leave that screen.

If the two ad blockers in Preferences are still checked the problem must be due to some sort of bug in your computer.
    I don't know what system your running but it should have a place where you can tell it to scan your hard drive. There is usually a "quick" scan and a "deep" or "full" scan available. The "quick" scan only looks in a few places for bugs so it won't find anything. You need to tell it to do a deep or full scan.
    These full scans usually take well over an hour to do and they use quite a bit of the computers memory and CPU power so it's best to not be running anything else. Just set it to do the job and leave it to do its thing.

15. Jan 16, 2019 #15

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

Artie Peltier

40 Cal.

Thanks for this info. Was able to disable the ads and save the setting. Later on if I want to bring them back I know how!

Angie likes this.
  16. Jan 17, 2019 #16

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

All my ad disablers are on but not blocking or disabling everything. My scans are up to date and show all is well there. But, I do get pop-ups on forum (Discount Tire is most frequent) and often when clicking on a topic an advertising website (Overstock.com and computer repair sites are most common) will open instead. Upside, computer seems to be running OK but that advertising is beyond aggravating. I don't get this issue with other forums or websites.

17. Jan 17, 2019 #17

Angie

Angie

Angie

Administrator Staff Member Admin

We do not run Pop up ads, so I am not understanding how it's happening from this site. Admin does not like pop ups and does not run them.
    Are you logged in when this happens, or logged out?

18. Jan 18, 2019 #18

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. MLF Supporter

ADBLOCK IS YOUR FRIEND. IT IS COMING FROM YOUR LACK OF A GOOD SECURITY CONFIGURATION.

19. Jan 19, 2019 #19

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

Angie, yes, logged in and my blockers are set. This issue only shows up here. I have found the site, and my computer, get unresponsive after I type about 5-6 lines of text. Pics take a month of Sundays to post. I get frequent pop-ups. That Discount Tire is the most frequent. Also, often when clicking on a topic I get a website unrelated to anything on TMF , very often it is some kind of computer repair service. For the record, these phenomenon do not happen with other forums or websites. Only here. This is not a 'gripe' complaint. I'm only reporting what I am experiencing.

20. Jan 19, 2019 #20

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

I'm sure your computer has some adware that somehow got installed on it.

There's a lot of information about how to get rid of these unwanted programs on the web and there are some good, free programs designed to find and get rid of spy and ad malware.

Ad-Aware and Spybot are two good programs to consider.