• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Forum for Sharps Percussion Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Merry Christmas ALL.

About 98% of all my shooting is done with muzzle loaders. But I recently won at auction a never fired Pedersoli 1859 Berdan Sharps Infantry Rifle. Just threw out a low-ball price and somehow won it. LOL It is a percussion rifle. But a breech loader. So I thought I would ask if the MLF is the correct/best Forum for this gun ? Or would another recommendation be warrented here ? Thanks.

Rick

Merry Christmas ALL.

About 98% of all my shooting is done with muzzle loaders. But I recently won at auction a never fired Pedersoli 1859 Berdan Sharps Infantry Rifle. Just threw out a low-ball price and somehow won it. LOL It is a percussion rifle. But a breech loader. So I thought I would ask if the MLF is the correct/best Forum for this gun ? Or would another recommendation be warrented here ? Thanks.

Rick
The Sharps 1859 Berdan uses a percussion cap that is not a part of a cartridge for its ignition.
That makes it legal to talk about it on the regular Muzzleloader Forum.

In January, 2018 the forum rules were modified to allow discussion of breech loading replicas of the guns made prior to 1865 as long as they did not use a cartridge with a built in primer.
You can read all about it at the bottom of the rules page.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/forum-rules.108881/

This was done because several different guns were made prior to and during the CW which were breech loaded. Most of these guns could be loaded thru the muzzle if needed by using an undersize ball.

Several primitive cartridges were tried during that period so it was decided that as long as the cartridge did not have a primer built into it it should be allowed for discussion here.
There were also some breech loaders that did not use any cartridge at all. The powder and ball were loaded individually into the breech. The breech was then closed (or in the case of screw barrel pistols and rifles, the barrel was screwed on) and the gun was then ready to be fired.

There are several different reproduction guns made based on these early guns within the last 40 years and some of our members own them and wish to shoot them.

Note: None of the Sharps, Spencer, Smith & Wesson, Henry, Volcanic, and similar firearms that use a self contained cartridge with a built in primer can be discussed on the forum.

IMO, the best place for the guns that are OK to discuss would be in the Percussion Forum area although in the case of the early Flintlock fired breech loaders like the Ferguson rifle the posts should be put in the Flintlock Forum.

The Sharps 1859 Berdan uses a percussion cap that is not a part of a cartridge for its ignition.
That makes it legal to talk about it on the regular Muzzleloader Forum.

In January, 2018 the forum rules were modified to allow discussion of breech loading replicas of the guns made prior to 1865 as long as they did not use a cartridge with a built in primer.
You can read all about it at the bottom of the rules page.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/forum-rules.108881/

This was done because several different guns were made prior to and during the CW which were breech loaded. Most of these guns could be loaded thru the muzzle if needed by using an undersize ball.

Several primitive cartridges were tried during that period so it was decided that as long as the cartridge did not have a primer built into it it should be allowed for discussion here.
There were also some breech loaders that did not use any cartridge at all. The powder and ball were loaded individually into the breech. The breech was then closed (or in the case of screw barrel pistols and rifles, the barrel was screwed on) and the gun was then ready to be fired.

There are several different reproduction guns made based on these early guns within the last 40 years and some of our members own them and wish to shoot them.

Note: None of the Sharps, Spencer, Smith & Wesson, Henry, Volcanic, and similar firearms that use a self contained cartridge with a built in primer can be discussed on the forum.

IMO, the best place for the guns that are OK to discuss would be in the Percussion Forum area although in the case of the early Flintlock fired breech loaders like the Ferguson rifle the posts should be put in the Flintlock Forum.

Very new member here. I have a Pedersoli 1863 made for a paper cartridge but here in AZ I need to load it with loose powder and a ball or minie. Think it is 45/60. I would like to use this gun on my February Javelina hunt but I need lead bullets - any idea how I can find bore diameter and estimate what diameter bullet. If I have posted this incorrectly I apologize in advance. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Find a round ball or soft lead bullet that is a little larger than bore diameter, tap in into the muzzle with a wood or rawhide mallet and push it through with a cleaning rod. Measure the outside diameter and add .001" to that figure and you know the needed size. If you can't do that a gunsmith can do it for you. There are several mold manufacturers that make molds specifically for the Sharps. A mini of the proper size will give very good results and a number of N-SSA shooters use one though they may be hard to find. You do not have to fill the chamber, the Sharps was designed to be shot with less than a full chamber and will hold far more powder than is needed or even comfortable to shoot. Unless you are very careful loading with loose powder it isn't a good idea and you should never open the breech of a loaded Sharps unless the barrel is pointed straight up. In both cases powder can find its way into the opening in the forearm where the lever spring is and when enough builds up it will literally blow the forearm off.

Back