• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

For Those who camp at Friendship Take Heed!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as a liability waiver/statement goes, the CMP's (Civilian Marksmanship Program) waiver/statement says it all in less than 100 words. Take a look at page two, only one half page, and this covers any and all events at any facility, including Camp Perry, OH, where firearms of a higher power are in common use. There is no requirement for any participant too secure their own personal liability insurance. Fairly simple and straight to the point.

CMP Eligibility Affidavit and Liability Agreement

Folks bothered by this have included current and former BOD members, and former president Jeff Cunningham--it isn't all folks who want to destroy the NMLRA. Folks were getting upset over trivial things like the agreement requiring the camper to assume liability for NMLRA's negligence, for example. Or the requirement for $300k in insurance on their campers, and the same in liability insurance for their camping space--and the fact that this required insurance is not obtainable (not "expensive", unobtainable). Or the requirement that you couldn't have any "hazardous materials" (like, you know, propane or other fuel, or GUNPOWDER) in the campsite. Some were bothered by the requirement that all electricity be turned off if the campsite wasn't occupied (so, turn off your AC when you go to shoot).

Nothing "happened" to bring about these changes, they were just something the lawyer came up with after Yazel directed the lawyer to come up with something to limit NMLRA's possible liability. Despite the Bylaws, the BOD didn't approve of the changes (most of them weren't even notified). Yazel can do this because there is no way for the membership to remove him, and the rest of the BOD don't care.
If that's the case maybe we have voted in the wrong people

MAYBE?????

I'm just surprised that Yazel and friends would do this to the Friendship regulars. They've been doing this to folks who aren't part of the Friendship crowd since '86-'87.

I just returned from a trip to Las Vegas to visit some of my outlaws. You can't drive 5 minutes without seeing a billboard where an attorney is promising free consultations to discuss injuries you might have suffered - real or imagined. Having some past professional exposure to a variety of business operations and liability exposures, contracts are simply a cost of doing business. States require you to buy liability insurance for your automobiles. Mortgage companies require you to buy fire insurance on your home. Landlords require you to insure your liability and possibly theirs as well just to occupy their building. All of these are expensive but protect you and your assets as well as the possibility that other people's money might become at risk. Best possible outcome is that the contracts sit in a file cabinet somewhere gathering dust while you enjoy whatever you own or drive or shoot.

An amazing thread to read. I think a lot of people are working hard to misunderstand and take umbrage.

FWIW, the "modern" equivalent of the NMLRA (aka the NRA) charges $45 per night in their full hook-up campground and has a liability waiver for you to sign (albeit much shorter, probably due to better, more expensive lawyers) before you can set foot on the property, whether you are camping or not.

It takes a lot of money to run these sorts of operations these days. In the NRA's case, Wayne's cuff-links and new shoe fund has to be supported as well :(. On the upside, they don't have the eyesore year-round campers rotting in place.

Any of you could get involved and step into leadership role, but if you want to just sit on the sidelines and be outraged, I guess that's your right in this wonderful country. This thread does not become the NMLRA nor encourage membership and participation

An amazing thread to read. I think a lot of people are working hard to misunderstand and take umbrage.

FWIW, the "modern" equivalent of the NMLRA (aka the NRA) charges $45 per night in their full hook-up campground and has a liability waiver for you to sign (albeit much shorter, probably due to better, more expensive lawyers) before you can set foot on the property, whether you are camping or not.

It takes a lot of money to run these sorts of operations these days. In the NRA's case, Wayne's cuff-links and new shoe fund has to be supported as well :(. On the upside, they don't have the eyesore year-round campers rotting in place.

Any of you could get involved and step into leadership role, but if you want to just sit on the sidelines and be outraged, I guess that's your right in this wonderful country. This thread does not become the NMLRA nor encourage membership and participation
When Wayne starts wearing nicer shoes and cufflinks than me I will worry.....

I'm converting a new cargo trailer into a camper and planning to use it when I retire to travel. The NMLRA shoot was high on my, and I am rethinking it. I have dropped it to the bottom of the list, maybe temporarily. I'm watching this develop.

I understand your position. I have given this a great deal of thought. As I said, I am only a second-year member of the NMLRA and am not blessed with unlimited resources. However, I feel these problems can be resolved and communicated to the membership. I am watching this develop.

As far as a liability waiver/statement goes, the CMP's (Civilian Marksmanship Program) waiver/statement says it all in less than 100 words. Take a look at page two, only one half page, and this covers any and all events at any facility, including Camp Perry, OH, where firearms of a higher power are in common use. There is no requirement for any participant too secure their own personal liability insurance. Fairly simple and straight to the point.

CMP Eligibility Affidavit and Liability Agreement
I have only briefly looked at the NMLRA agreement, and I've never been to Friendship, so I may be talking out of turn here.

But my understanding is that basically some folks are renting a permanent camping spot at Friendship. I am also a landlord with a rental property, and the NMLRA looks an awful lot like the rental agreements I have my tenants fill out. I don't think the CMP is renting out living spaces, are they? It's just a liability form to participate in a shooting event, correct?

I'll point out here that the N-SSA also allows people to permanently leave campers at Fort Shennandoah. But as far as I know they don't charge money for it, there are no electrical/sewer hookups at camp sites. The costs are covered in annual membership dues (whether you use the Fort or not).

I've said for years the N-SSA should start charging a fee for year-round trailer storage at the Fort. Would generate income and also discourage leaving junkers on the property to rot. Some of them have trees growing through them.

I pay $110 a month to store my RV here at home. Can't keep it at my house due to HOA rules. So I spend $1320 a year to store my RV. $700-$800 a year to store an RV at Friendship does not sound like a bad deal to me. Our local state park charges $28/night for camping with full hookups. So the NMLRA's nightly fees are not out of bounds, either.

I'm converting a new cargo trailer into a camper and planning to use it when I retire to travel. The NMLRA shoot was high on my, and I am rethinking it. I have dropped it to the bottom of the list, maybe temporarily. I'm watching this develop.

I understand your position. I have given this a great deal of thought. As I said, I am only a second-year member of the NMLRA and am not blessed with unlimited resources. However, I feel these problems can be resolved and communicated to the membership. I am watching this develop.
I’m a 1st year member and hope to attend Friendship, as well. Taking everything into account, my goal is 2024. I need to get my kits assembled and get some local range time. My other thoughts is that I want to ’enter the pool from the shallow end’, meaning a more friendly, forgiving environment for a noob. To that end my 1st Friendship trip is for BP Maniac Shooters New Years shoot.

Folks bothered by this have included current and former BOD members, and former president Jeff Cunningham--it isn't all folks who want to destroy the NMLRA. Folks were getting upset over trivial things like the agreement requiring the camper to assume liability for NMLRA's negligence, for example. Or the requirement for $300k in insurance on their campers, and the same in liability insurance for their camping space--and the fact that this required insurance is not obtainable (not "expensive", unobtainable). Or the requirement that you couldn't have any "hazardous materials" (like, you know, propane or other fuel, or GUNPOWDER) in the campsite. Some were bothered by the requirement that all electricity be turned off if the campsite wasn't occupied (so, turn off your AC when you go to shoot).

Nothing "happened" to bring about these changes, they were just something the lawyer came up with after Yazel directed the lawyer to come up with something to limit NMLRA's possible liability. Despite the Bylaws, the BOD didn't approve of the changes (most of them weren't even notified). Yazel can do this because there is no way for the membership to remove him, and the rest of the BOD don't care.
So untrue sir...

I really encourage those who can to avoid ranges and get out and utilize your public land. It's your birthright as an american, go and shoot on it.

I really encourage those who can to avoid ranges and get out and utilize your public land. It's your birthright as an american, go and shoot on it.
I didn't even know this was a thing. We have state-run public shooting ranges, but I have no idea if you can shoot on public land here.
From what I can gather, we have public ranges on public land. I don't know if you can just wander into public land and start shooting.

https://www.eregulations.com/alabama/hunting/hunting-laws-regulations

Move out west. I live in WA, but Oregon, Nevada, Arizona and other states heavy with BLM and National Forests have millions of acres of land you can access...and shoot on. YOU ARE PART OWNER OF THIS LAND. You just have to look and find a lonely road that leads to your shooters paradise

These legacy ranges that have waiting lists, fees and other hindrances are CANCER robbing you of your American experience.

Attachments

• orca-image--208617065.jpeg
    orca-image--208617065.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 0
Which part or parts are you stating are untrue? That entire post is based on public statements and publicly-posted
Perhaps I misinterpreted your meaning... I was referring to the last part.
I care and I was part of the group that was not informed/included.
And yes, I agree that your statement was based on other post.
I for one am trying to help make the association a better place as well as an inclusive place got all our members.
Thank you and again sorry if I misread your meaning.

Perhaps I misinterpreted your meaning... I was referring to the last part.
I care and I was part of the group that was not informed/included.
And yes, I agree that your statement was based on other post.
I for one am trying to help make the association a better place as well as an inclusive place got all our members.
Thank you and again sorry if I misread your meaning.
Well now, let's take a look at the last paragraph in my post:
Breaking it down sentence by sentence: the first sentence is based on statements posted on Facebook by the NMLRA's counsel, and by Yazell.

The second sentence is based on multiple statements and text messages that were screen-shotted and posted on Facebook.

The first clause of the last sentence is based on the NMLRA bylaws. The second clause of the last sentence is based on the lack of objection or action by the rest of the BOD. I'd welcome being shown I'm wrong on this: show me in the Minutes of the BOD meetings where any member of the BOD has called Yazell out for his actions, sought his removal, or tried to get rid of the Executive Committee, and I will happily acknowledge my error and apologize.

Any of you could get involved and step into leadership role,
🤣,
Not really, nepotism is rampant with this Org,,, even basic RO training and certification has the glaring eye cast upon you by your local State Rep.
Our regional reps do nothing but field local complaints and are mostly un-able to find solution.
It's a "good olde boy's club" for the good olde boys grand-kids and maybe toss in a son in law or 2,,

Back