For those that sew....

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This is not exactly a Muzzleloading post, but maybe it can help people live.

This is a pretty good looking general use face mask instructions. I know some of you sew your reenactment clothing so this should be easy. And you could even get fabric creative.

With or without a nose piece of metal is okay. I spent part of my weekend making sure local family (most over 70) had at least one for when they had to walk the dog, etc.
One warning, I've found if folks that don't sew know you can do this, you'll have more new friends.
Also, use cotton, not a synthetic fabric. And these are more for protecting others from you, and somewhat protect you from germs floating around.

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
If you can find a material that is not woven, more of a synthetic masked bunch of fiber like a thin felt, it will help a lot more than woven cotton/linen type fabric. At the hospital where I work we were first told we could wear masks like those shown here when not in direct contact with a Covid-19 patient, then it became only when not in contact with any patient. Now, we can only wear them as a dressy covering for a regular surgical mask. The reason is the tiny holes natural to a woven fabric. If one looks at a microscope picture of regular fabric and the material a surgical, or N95, mask is made of, one sees all the little gaps in the woven fabric, they aren't their in the mask material.

Also, masks and gloves are only as helpful as your technique in using them. Wash your hands before putting your mask on, do not pull the mask down around your chin to talk or eat/drink, wash your hands before taking it off, and after taking it off. If you wear gloves at the store, don't touch things in the store and then touch your personal belongings, keys/debit card/glasses/etc, with the same gloves. Treat your face and personal belongings like you just handled raw chicken, think about cross contamination.

All that said, if someone comes up with some fabric that represents our interests, maybe a Betsy Ross flag theme, and makes some masks of it, I'd be interested in one to cover my surgical mask.

Please stay safe and healthy everyone.

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Brokennock:
I'm sure everything you said is 100% correct but, wearing a home made mask that doesn't do much to trap something the size of a virus might be better than nothing, maybe ??

JB67

40 Cal
Reaction score
It's not so much about stopping the virus molecules on their own, but the droplets of saliva we eject when talking. Those virus-laden droplets hang in the air and are the real threat.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It's not so much about stopping the virus molecules on their own, but the droplets of saliva we eject when talking. Those virus-laden droplets hang in the air and are the real threat.
Yes, that's what I've been told. The doctor I'm listening to is one that is on the CDC team. He says that it's to keep our output away from others, and the best way to stay well is social distancing and washing hands with soap.

Carbon 6

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Also, masks and gloves are only as helpful as your technique in using them. Wash your hands before putting your mask on, do not pull the mask down around your chin to talk or eat/drink, wash your hands before taking it off, and after taking it off. If you wear gloves at the store, don't touch things in the store and then touch your personal belongings, keys/debit card/glasses/etc, with the same gloves. Treat your face and personal belongings like you just handled raw chicken, think about cross contamination.
You should also be clean shaven and habits like smoking, chewing, or using a handkerchief make you especially vulnerable.
Frequently touched items like cell phones and car keys should be constantly cleaned and disinfected.

Also, use cotton, not a synthetic fabric. And these are more for protecting others from you, and somewhat protect you from germs floating around.
A new pleated furnace filters or vacuum cleaner bags could be cut to size and sewn into the fabric mask to make it more efficient. Many filters and bags are HEPA rated.

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
You should also be clean shaven and habits like smoking, chewing, or using a handkerchief make you especially vulnerable.
Frequently touched items like cell phones and car keys should be constantly cleaned and disinfected.

A new pleated furnace filters or vacuum cleaner bags could be cut to size and sewn into the fabric mask to make it more efficient. Many filters and bags are HEPA rated.
What about Tyvek? Like what Frog Togg rain gear is made of.

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife is already cranking out hundreds of masks for the cause. She sews a pocket for furnace filters that can be cleaned separately or easily replaced.
Being sewing machine ignorant, I do the running for supply and delivery.
I like this idea.

While I understand a mask is more about protecting others in case we have it. Having coughed in my surgical mask, even that I can feel the air from the cough blow through onto my arm. The virus is about 1 micron in size.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The blue mechanic "paper" towels are suppose to be some of the best stuff to use for general use.