• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For the matchlock fans...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'rude word' I cannot edit my post above.

Note also that one of the bandoliers looks as if it functioned as a priming flask with a spouted top. Just under the ball bags.

Bamboo speed loaders. Just as 16th-17th century Europeans had bandoliers of wooden powder bottles, the Japanese had boxes of bamboo tubes with pre-measured powder in them.

I compete in primitive biathlon with a matchlock smoothbore. It's a timed course, so I have to load quickly. I have a bandolier of powder bottles, which work fine. I am more picky than your average 17th century shooter, firing tight patched ball, but I can still load in about thirty seconds.

Irish,

In the 18th/19th century , we get writers like Col. George Hanger, who specified sewing balls in leather for speedy loading in his double barreled shotgun.
Also, there are depictions of patches from the 16th Century, for use in matchlocks that were mainly smooth -bored.
We can get into trouble as soon as we use the terms "Never" or "Always". :)

Irish,

In the 18th/19th century , we get writers like Col. George Hanger, who specified sewing balls in leather for speedy loading in his double barreled shotgun.
Also, there are depictions of patches from the 16th Century, for use in matchlocks that were mainly smooth -bored.
We can get into trouble as soon as we use the terms "Never" or "Always". :)
The point am I trying to make is that in the 17th and 18 th century Matchlocks arquebuses hand gonnes and muskets they DID NOT patch the ball .They simply dropped the ball down the barrel then rammed wadding down on top of the ball firmly seating the ball and wadding on top of the charge of gun powder with your drivel(ram rod)This was the excepted practice in those days and regulations in the militia .

Dear Irish,

The point I am trying to make, it that there are cases when the ball Was patched, even going back to the early 1500's.
Also, if you are aware of Patrons, used for holding prepared ammunition, you will see that they were made to hold the ball and correct charge of powder. these date back to the early 1500's.
Sometimes, the paper cartridge was attached to the sprue of the ball, and at other times, the ball was enclosed in the cartridge, as we see in later military use, with say, the Brown Bess.
Again, my point is we must not generalize, because when we Do, something will rear it's head to prove us wrong!
See below, and remember, you are telling us here that these did not exist. :)
Div_TeilePatronenbüchsen,ca_1550_ 1a kl.jpg
Papierpatronen kl.jpg
Patr_-Büchse,Papierpatr_24_5_06_1.jpg

For further reading, and many photos, you can go tho this thread;

In the below engraving, you will clearly see a punch for cutting patches, amongst 16th C matchlock paraphernalia.
Arkebuse m_ Zubehör, Farbe_  1b kl.jpg

Best,
Richard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Irish,

The point I am trying to make, it that there are cases when the ball Was patched, even going back to the early 1500's.
Also, if you are aware of Patrons, used for holding prepared ammunition, you will see that they were made to hold the ball and correct charge of powder. these date back to the early 1500's.
Sometimes, the paper cartridge was attached to the sprue of the ball, and at other times, the ball was enclosed in the cartridge, as we see in later military use, with say, the Brown Bess.
Again, my point is we must not generalize, because when we Do, something will rear it's head to prove us wrong!
See below, and remember, you are telling us here that these did not exist. :)
View attachment 38810View attachment 38811View attachment 38812

For further reading, and many photos, you can go tho this thread;

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8540&highlight=Matchlock+ammunition
In the below engraving, you will clearly see a punch for cutting patches, amongst 16th C matchlock paraphernalia.View attachment 38814

Best,
Richard.

WARNING...WARNING...WARNING

The Vikingsword link that Pukka offered up is dangerous: My browser (Firefox) warned that the site was trying to put malware on my computer for cryptocurrency generation. That is, a remote site hijacks your computing power to make money. If you clicked on that link you should check your computer for malware.

Latest posts

Back