• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

? for Leather workers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brought the flask to a shoe cobbler in my area and asked him if he could repair it. He checked the leather, and said the leather at the old seams was too dry rot and could not be re-sewed. He suggested that have a slightly smaller capacity, but the new seam would be strong. He said he would charge me $20.00 to do the job. I jumped on it. Now i will be able to use my Granpaps flask with his shotgun. Purely sentimental for me. Thanks all for your advice in this matter.

As a long time leather worker don't take the chance of destroying such a valuable memento. Retire it and use the pattern for a new one.
Those advocating 'retirement' are correct; the organic leather is much more fragile than you realize; leather also is destroyed by oils over time; treat it with Pecard antique leather gel and buy a nice, sturdy, new-made one. The fellas are leading you right!

I have to agree with the above two posts. I'm sure most off us have seen old things ruined by good intentions. I hope the fellow you selected knows what he's doing and that you aren't being influenced by the price. If it were mine I'd ask him to make a copy and retire the original to a place of honor. If he can make a good copy, he may be able to repair the original. Don't worry about the money. Once it's gone you won't even miss it but you will miss your grandad's flask if it gets ruined.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back