• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For FW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalshaper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Kendal.jpg

Hey FW,, Here ya' go!! :grin:
an original Kendall "Breech loading Underhammer"

the tag, under the barrel reads

caliber .41 barrel

"Kendall, Windsor VT Patent"
one turn in 48 inches, seven groove rifling
action: percussion underhammer
Breechblock removed for loading
Circa: 1835-1849

from the gun collection at the Davis Museum
Claremore Oklahoma!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

man, that is a sleek looking underhammer. :bow: possibly a pic of the whole rifle?

walruskid1 said:
man, that is a sleek looking underhammer. :bow: possibly a pic of the whole rifle?
>>>

Unfortunately,, the the camera I had with me that day.. limited, what I pics I could get and their quality. :hmm: I also had my wife and son along.. and the 2.5 hours they alloted me,, was not enough :(

Next time I go,, it will be with a better camera,, and by myself :thumbsup:

Eventually I want to try a build a version,, for myself.. just because!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

HOW MANY DID THAT CLIP HOLD ??? A REAL ASSULT RIFLE!! grat pic thanks. just got to love these things and I'm sure seeing your work on here the last few years you'll build a winner! :bow: Fred :hatsoff:

I was thinking of making one of those "Harmonica" rifles. Got to finish up a few other underhammers first. Looks like a fun project.

Fred,

That Kendall was shown as a single shot.. although I think it could have easily have been a Harmonica gun?

and Thanks for the compliment on my gun building :redface:

And for John,

I have a bunch of work piling up, but would like to eventually build a Kendall like that,, AND a Billinghurst revolver rifle.. Just been suffering from my usual run of Bad luck! Two surgeries this year,, has pretty much limited, what I can get done.. :(

My Best to you all, and Happy Holidays!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Just been suffering from my usual run of Bad luck! Two surgeries this year,, has pretty much limited, what I can get done..
JUST 2 ? ? The 4 weeks in ICU made me :youcrazy: no make that more nuts. Hope your on your way to being well really fast, way to many sick people on here lately :shake:
My Best to you all, and Happy Holidays!! Right back at you all, have a good one...( I did catch the breach loading part just couldnt let that big looking hole go with out some dumb thing to say :redface: All the best and ya we all know you do build some of the best weve seen, Why not try one of those BIG Billinghurst target rifles set for 440 rods just makeing the ammo for it is over my head as well as the 3 loading tools but what a rifle. :thumbsup: Fred :hatsoff:

As Fred knows I just love the Kendall underhammer rifles .. I guess I am gonna have to get off my big behind and go up there someday and see that one! Its only a 200 miles away! :shocked2: :hmm: ... also I looked at their website and saw this too!

16.jpg

A combo matchlock-wheelock rifle gun! :shocked2: Have to see that one in person too!

Davy

Davy,

If you get there,,be sure to look for the "Cross over" gun!! The gun is German,< if I remember correctly >, made to hold in a right handed stance but shot using a left dominant eye. Strange to see a stock 'shaped' like that :hmm: I had read about them before, just never thought I'd get to see one..

Really wish, when I was there, that I had more time to spend Drooling!! :)

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Saw one of those stocks long ago couldnt figure out what it was for, seem's if I remember right the back sight was a hole in the hammer? :confused: Fred :hatsoff:

us000000168-001.jpg

U. S. patent number 168 patented April 17, 1837. Patented by Elijah Fisher and Dexter H. Chamberlain.

U. S. Patent Office

You can do a search by patent number and get the description and a larger format drawing.

Old Coot

Thanks Old Coot , I was writeing about he one Metalshaper was writeing about " I THINK" it was "S" shaped kind of from looking above it just went into a "S" from the wrist, you held it in your right arm and it crossed in front of you so the sights would be in the left side....Right Metalshaper ?? :confused: This one also had a added holedrilled in the hammer to act as a peep of somekind if I remember right ( BIG IF THAT IS) Fred :hatsoff: ( OH I better put here this one wasn't a uh!)

As one of the Underhammer fans here thank you! :bow: :bow: 1837! wow.

fw said:
I was writeing about he one Metalshaper was writeing about " I THINK" it was "S" shaped kind of from looking above it just went into a "S" from the wrist, you held it in your right arm and it crossed in front of you so the sights would be in the left side....Right Metalshaper ?? >>>>)

FW,

That's it! this one was a double though??

DSCF0141.jpg

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Back