• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For Feltwad and the Brits!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Historian

20 ga. Flintlock SXS
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Something I've wondered for years, but have never asked:
Anyone know why we use B, BB, BBB, T, TT, and F for the sizes between 1 and 4 buck? They have to be called something obviously, but why letters instead of 0,00, 000 etc. or letters in order, A, B, C, etc.?
I know they use different systems in the UK, Europe, Australia etc.
Not suggesting it be changed, just curious what the back story is.
Mr. Feltwad and the Brits, so fellow waterfowler's would like to know how we came up with the system of naming shot sizes. I told them if anyone knows it would most likely be someone like you or others over across the pond. Can you help us out?

Never really understood it my self.
Heard some varying stories but nothing conclusive.

We have AAA (5mm, .20") SSSSG, SSSG, SSG (sometimes called Special SG about .270"), SG (.33") and LG(.36").

It is very odd, and always has been. If anything the shot sizes are better now. Personally I'd like to see a revamp of the terms. I'd like to simply call them by their diameter. Instead of #5 shot, I'd like to call it 120 (.120" diameter), or 3mm for the rest of the world. #6 would become 110 shot, or 2.8mm, and so on.

It is very odd, and always has been. If anything the shot sizes are better now. Personally I'd like to see a revamp of the terms. I'd like to simply call them by their diameter. Instead of #5 shot, I'd like to call it 120 (.120" diameter), or 3mm for the rest of the world. #6 would become 110 shot, or 2.8mm, and so on.
A lot of Europeans do put the diameter of the the shot on the cartridges.

Well I may be old fashioned but lets keep it British the same size shot which has its been known for its different size for 300 years from the early shot known has swan shot ,we see more American changing the sizes of a gun from bore to gauge , and the shotgun cartridge to shells .
Feltwad

Back