• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For anyone considering an Indian manufactured Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfinator58

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hey hey fellow Forum readers I found this on Middlesex Valley Trading it's a great article on the structural integrity of India made black powder guns. The scientific data is a report from a Testing Lab called HP white they are widely regarded as experts in the field of metallurgy! This document clears up a lot of misconceptions about India made flintlocks one of which is inferior materials which this laboratory clearly states is incorrect they go on to say that the manufacturing of this particular weapon which failed due to gross negligence is manufactured to Modern standards and is every bit as good as European and American made muzzleloaders when it comes to the manufacturing process and structural integrity of the components! I know there will be those who disregard this information but being from a scientific lab it is much harder to dispute although I'm sure there will be those who try to

Attachments

• HPWhiteReportWithPersonalInfoBlocked (1) (1).pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Great read! I’m not really interested in Indian made arms, but was always curious as to what standards they were constructed. In my opinion; Indian made barrels are probably just as tolerant, or more so than original period muskets made at the time. Things just happen sometimes and you don’t see it coming. My grandfather flowered the end of his Ithaca model 37 while rabbit hunting once. While on a hunting trip; a plug of ice accumulated in the muzzle end while they were sleeping and when he fired at a cotton tail the next morning it had a major failure. Always check your gear I guess. That re enactor should have cleaned his dang gun though. Geeze

Look at this test of a DOM barrel too! The Author fired and measured it, increasing 50-grns of 3Fg for each shot until he reached 400-grns. There was no measurable change, so he fired a final shot at 400-grns of 3Fg and 2 PRBs.

There will always be nay-sayers ...

Attachments

• DOM Tubing Used for MZL Barrels.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Look at this test of a DOM barrel too! The Author fired and measured it, increasing 50-grns of 3Fg for each shot until he reached 400-grns. There was no measurable change, so he fired a final shot at 400-grns of 3Fg and 2 PRBs.

There will always be nay-sayers ...
Nice work although I dont know if I could have been that" BALLSY" pouring almost an ounce of powder in and lighting

Hey hey fellow Forum readers I found this on Middlesex Valley Trading it's a great article on the structural integrity of India made black powder guns. The scientific data is a report from a Testing Lab called HP white they are widely regarded as experts in the field of metallurgy! This document clears up a lot of misconceptions about India made flintlocks one of which is inferior materials which this laboratory clearly states is incorrect they go on to say that the manufacturing of this particular weapon which failed due to gross negligence is manufactured to Modern standards and is every bit as good as European and American made muzzleloaders when it comes to the manufacturing process and structural integrity of the components! I know there will be those who disregard this information but being from a scientific lab it is much harder to dispute although I'm sure there will be those who try to
Hey, thanks. In reading the information posted by Military History, the company that offers many types of India made firearms, they're very specific about frizzen hardening, etc. I believe the White Co. went out of business, (?) but they were/are very highly regarded. Anti-India-made snobishness is common, but I would not hesitate to use one. You're more likely to be harmed crossing the highway or driving in a big city! I've got an older (Bi-Cen era?) Bess from India that is stout as an oak. Glad you posted, Surfinator!

For me, the quality of the item has never been a concern. It's the fact that they are not manufactured to be firearms.

I'm old-school. It matters to me when someone stands behind their product. It matters to me if someone won't stand behind their product.
That’s not the case with these guns…it may be the case with a couple unscrupulous importers and venders…but these guns are intended to be every bit a functional firearm.

That’s not the case with these guns…it may be the case with a couple unscrupulous importers and venders…but these guns are intended to be every bit a functional firearm.
Yes, Military Heritage , Middlesex Village, Veteran Arms, etc. all have guarantees. I've dealt with Veteran Arms and the owner is very nice to deal with. Anyone new to these products needs to do a bit of studying; Best success to all, says I!

Mi have never owned an India-made gun.
My possible concerns would not be so much the strength of the barrel as much as the quality of all the other parts and workmanship.

The first India made muzzleloader that I saw, 20+ years ago, was a hunk of junk. Swore I’d never own or buy an India made gun.

Years later I buy a beautiful single barrel 11 gauge shotgun. Just gorgeous, in my opinion…it’s India made.

So it’s not that it’s India made…it’s the OEM

You'll note here that I didn't say anything about intentions. I said:

they are not manufactured to be firearms.

So what you’re saying is that they are not manufactured to be firearms…even though they are intended to be every bit of a functional firearm?

Hmm…Do you work for CNN?
I'm saying they are not manufactured to be firearms, and intent is meaningless. So if you convert one to be a firearm, or someone else does it for you, and something goes wrong, the manufacturer is not going to stand behind it nor accept any liability because they didn't manufacture it to be a firearm.

Willingness to stand behind the product you make (or not, as in this case) matters to me. If it doesn't matter to you - great! But people need to know what they are getting into with these items manufactured to be non-functional items, and make an informed decision.

I'm saying they are not manufactured to be firearms, and intent is meaningless. So if you convert one to be a firearm, or someone else does it for you, and something goes wrong, the manufacturer is not going to stand behind it nor accept any liability because they didn't manufacture it to be a firearm.

Willingness to stand behind the product you make (or not, as in this case) matters to me. If it doesn't matter to you - great! But people need to know what they are getting into with these items manufactured to be non-functional items, and make an informed decision.
I’ve gone back to another thread…and yeah…this seems to be your GOTO argument about India Made Firearms. And instead of reasonable argument, you like to parse words. There are legal reasons as to why these guns are manufactured without flash holes. It’s been explained before to you. You refuse to accept…

I don’t see that you offer much to this thread, other than a straw-man.

Back