• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

food on the trail

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popcorn makes a nice trail snack.
Just don't try to cook it in soldered cookware.

And of course, one can always forage as he goes.

My Trail Rations

Rock-a-hominy....it's ground parched corn, and it is different than corn meal. ;)
Dry cured bacon...if you can't get this or don't want to drop the coin for it you can use the shelf stable pre-cooked bacon, but you may need to carry more to equal the calories that I get in what I carry as you lose some of the fat, and if calories are a concern such as in very cold weather.
raisins..., mostly for the potassium in hot weather; good quick sugar source in cold weather
jerked venison ...or a person could just use over the counter jerky like Jack Links
ship's biscuit if I'm out of rockahominy
gunpowder tea (a type of green tea) or loose black tea...
151 rum with lime and sugar
...cut with hot water when consumed as grog. I know some folks that mix it 50/50 with regular rum, which gives you better rum flavor and it's then very close to the original cask strength of rum.

In cold weather I carry some sugar for the tea
I've also carried butter in a tin, and or cheese, also in cold weather

IF it's a foraging trip, like we are going to fish or try for some squirrels, I will carry my salt horn and some red pepper flakes

LD

Last edited:
Back