• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

food on the trail

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
what do yall take with you on the trail I read about some taking corn meal and bacon but just want more opinion not really going to do any long treks mostly day treks jus curious thanks

Summer sausage and Parmesan cheese is handy as it keeps well. Most hot cereals work real good. A hunters pudding makes a breakfast or a desert. Raisins are sweet, as is chocolate. Dried onions or dried mushrooms, and any sort of dried chopped veggies like carrot parsnips ect. And sliced dry potatoes are good. Pepperoni or other dry sausage, dry smoked bacon. Blocks of maple sugar. Coffee or tea.
Dry green peas cook up pretty quick, about an hour and a half. Ships bread or Johnny cakes carry well. Rice is light and packs lots of calories. Cooked salt pork carries well. Little tins of spices. Several days worth of meals can be carried for a few pounds.

Boiled beef can be shredded up and then the fibers dried. It keeps like jerky but cooks up to a broth real quick.
Dry potato slices, a hand full of dried veggies and a hand full of that dried beef makes a real tasty soup on the trail in about half an hour on the fire.

:thumb: on the Parmesan cheese. the harder the better. We're talking real Parmesan cheese, not that sawdust in a green can.
Grana Padano, or Pecorino Romano, also work well, though Pecorino can be a bit strong for some.

Yes indeed the hard blocks or triangles. Some of Old English and French cheese were as hard as Italian cheeses today, but now are rare.
Strong cheese scares folks away, but a few bites and suddenly it taste pretty good.

Day trips? I take dried pears and dried bananas. And I prefer a block of sharp cheddar to go with a bag of sun dried tomatoes. The combo is fantastic! Pair it up with spicy venison snack sticks from the smoker.
Not H.C., but I also take peanut M&M's, and a Lifestraw so I don't have to carry water.

Used to be coffee, instant hot cereal or oatmeal, "pocket soup", jerky, summer sausage, maybe some maple sugar candy. Things would be interchanged depending on weather and how long a day I planned.
Now for a day hunt it's, coffee, a mix of Brazil and macadamia nuts, banana chips, maybe some dried apples, "pocket soup" or bullion, jerky or some type of dried sausage, maybe a few hardboiled eggs.

Totally non-period cheat. If it's cold and I don't plan to be out all day, I skip the coffee and stuff I need to heat water for. I sneak a small thermos into my haversack containing a mix of hot beef and bone broths, and a tablespoon of refined coconut oil. I often add unrefined to coffee when it's cold out and I need energy and warmth.

where do u get ur cheese at

The grocery store., But, I'm also willing to travel a 100 miles to buy good groceries.

A small wheel of Gouda or Edam cheese also travels well, as it is usually encased in wax.
So long as the weather is not to hot.

A small waxed cheese is great, after it’s open the end dries quickly and forms a study protecting the rest. As long as it’s not too hot the laughing cow brand individual soft cheeses are good as they are in little wax wheels.
Walmart around here sells hard blocks of Parmesan and Asiago. A local liquor store has a big gourmet food counter that has some hard to find cheese
Parmesan was imported to America when we were still colonies.

I don’t like to carry cans. As trash cans are hard to find on the trail.
Spam,in of its self is close at least to pork products of the time. It’s probably safe for a few days out of the can and in your haversack but I might get nervous over it in any warm weather.

Folks: Let's not turn this good topic into another heated discussion about Spam please. If you do, expect me to start poking the old Delete button.

Last edited:
Back