• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Folks, tell me about Fowlers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to be the odd man out on this. I have a 66 caliber/16-gauge Smoothbore. It was custom built by Larry Zornes from Jackson, Ohio. It is called the Rogers Rangers because it is essentially a Brown Bess carbine. --- I was looking for a 28 gauge when I found it. However, I have always liked a 16 gauge shotgun and when I found this one I couldn't resist it.
I love a 16 guage!!

I have a 28 guage type G trade gun I built with a properly contoured barrel 46 inch’s long. 6.5 lbs.Shoots round ball well enough for me to compete against the rifle shooters on our clubs woods walk. Usually giving them a run for their money or placing in the top three. With shot it busts clay birds well, no small game hunting yet. BJH

I have a 28 guage type G trade gun I built with a properly contoured barrel 46 inch’s long. 6.5 lbs.Shoots round ball well enough for me to compete against the rifle shooters on our clubs woods walk. Usually giving them a run for their money or placing in the top three. With shot it busts clay birds well, no small game hunting yet. BJH
Nothing beats a legitimate shooter…

Recently purchased a used .62/20ga flintlock smoothbore rifle (Fowler) with 46” barrel. I’ve always loved the lines of these and been wanting something to put shot in. It’s deceivingly light at 6.8lbs. Shoulders and points effortlessly, very light in the front end compared to my .50 flintlock rifle. Plan on hunting doves, turkey and deer with it. Can’t beat the versatility of a smoothbore! This is a Chambers “smoothbore rifle” kit and I absolutely love it.
114E8EC1-F282-4ECC-B215-211BAC0E466C.jpeg

The idea of Fowlers has intrigued me for a while. However, I know nothing much about them and so far, Google has NOT been my friend. Ergo, I arrive here looking for information.

Let's start with how long, heavy, and what caliber (gauge) would a typical flintlock Fowler be?

Ready, set. GO!

The Doc is out now. :cool:
The information you will gleen from this website will be very helpful, with that said, it is pretty much a case of personal choice based on knowledge. I use a 1795 Springfield replica musket as an everything gun. If I choose, I can use it for bear or jack rabbits. Just make sure you have all your safety concerns covered.

I seem to be the odd man out on this. I have a 66 caliber/16-gauge Smoothbore. It was custom built by Larry Zornes from Jackson, Ohio. It is called the Rogers Rangers because it is essentially a Brown Bess carbine. --- I was looking for a 28 gauge when I found it. However, I have always liked a 16 gauge shotgun and when I found this one I couldn't resist it.
a 16 gauge anything makes my old heart skip a beat! absolutely love the 16.

I love the 16 gauge, most of my cartridge guns are chambered for it, most of them are early to mid 1900s so a couple need shorter shells.
Had I ordered either of my smoothbore flintlock guns new from the maker I might have opted for a 16 gauge.

I had my fowling piece custom built with the intention of using it for almost anything, and it's really met that challenge. It's a 14 bore / .69 caliber English fowling gun with heavy French influence. Tapered 48" barrel, early English round face lock, full walnut stock, very pleasant to carry and swing. I've used it for large and small game and fowl on the wing. Actually my favorite smoke pole for everything but paper punching. It is a little tough on powder and lead, but I love it nonetheless.

I was on a similar hunt for a gun some years ago. I was given a lot of good advice here. One excellent bit was to buy Grinslade’s book.
I ended up contacting Mike Brooks who made me an exact copy of the New England #9 from Grinslade. Made to my measurements, it weighs six pounds four…16 gauge, 42 inch barrel.

Attachments

• 1DEAE0DC-D1D3-469A-9E37-B0A136925F92.jpeg
    1DEAE0DC-D1D3-469A-9E37-B0A136925F92.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 0
If your primary goal is hunting turkeys I would go with a smaller bore. The reason is the longer shot column attained with a similar amount of shot will give you a tighter pattern

If your primary goal is hunting turkeys I would go with a smaller bore. The reason is the longer shot column attained with a similar amount of shot will give you a tighter pattern
This is why I’m looking at getting either a 24 gauge or a 28 gauge….trade off between a longer shot string and a tighter pattern

Hmmm. Maybe you have patterned that combo and found it to be true. On the other hand, it flies in the face of standard shotgun lore which empasizes the Square Load. In fact, the most basic criticism of .410 bore shotguns (for instance) is that they pattern poorly because of the long shot column. The long column exposes more of the shot to abrasion in the bore affecting the pattern.

Latest posts

Back