• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Folding Peep Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I missed that. And its only $375...

That is mighty find work, and worth every penny. In fact, for the amount of work and detail, that's cheap.

A good, bolt-on tang sight will run you as much as $500. Tom A Hawk's sight is pretty darn nice too from what I can see.

As a person that has extreme difficulty seeing the barrel sights any more, I'm wrestling with putting peeps on my shooting glasses. Not optimal.

In the meantime, I am contemplating a Marbles' Flexible tang sight originally designed for a Savage M99. I think it will work. Might not look great, but should work just fine.

Thanks, I missed that. And its only $375...

I did not look that far, price. I was intrigued with the way it disappears into the stock. On a well made rifle, the price would be fair.

Advantage to yours is that you made it!

Mr. Hawk, that is a fine looking clever little design. Have you range tested it yet?

As a matter of fact, I have. It was a wonderful sunny day here today, mid 40's, low wind ( if this is the result of global warming...I like it. ) Scheduled activities prevented a trip to the hunting woods. However, I did find time to take the new .54 Isaac Haines to the range, a bit over dressed with the new peep sight. Whether it was due to the Rice C profile barrel, the new peep sight or a combination of the two, finding the bull at 100 yards was very pleasing.

Even in the later afternoon sun, the sight picture and front blade definition with the peep was excellent. On par I would say with the $300 Vernier on my Sharps. Nothing like a peep sight to sharpen the sight picture at extended ranges.

Anyone try a folding peep sight like a Lyman #2 on the tang of your percussion rifle?
I installed the T/C tang peep sight on my Hawken many years ago. The elevation is decent with a fairly fine thread to elevate the peep. There is no adjustment of the aperture. Windage is quite crude. It was a very cheap sight compared to the Lyman, but it does work.

1639578940445.jpeg

I installed the T/C tang peep sight on my Hawken many years ago. The elevation is decent with a fairly fine thread to elevate the peep. There is no adjustment of the aperture. Windage is quite crude. It was a very cheap sight compared to the Lyman, but it does work.

View attachment 109537
I like it. Thank you. The challenge is that all of my muzzleloaders have front sights maybe 1/8" above the barrel. This low profile serves several good functions (lower likelihood of bumping into something that damages the sight, lower aiming point is easier from face on stock and is much closer to point of impact etc), but it prevents the use of a flip-up tang sight. I learned this a few months ago, when the long awaited percussion rifle with the five-inch-long tang arrived, and no high quality commercial flip up sights would work with the existing low profile front sight. I believe my only option is to install a higher front sight.

Well...a year later I have finally found time to refine this peep sight concept to the point that I am satisfied with it. This design is more robust, adjustable for windage and elevation, within reasonable limits and folds down permitting use of the barrel sight.

View attachment 107714 View attachment 107716 View attachment 107717
I got one of Tom A Hawk's rather nifty rear sights, put it on a T/C Hawken kit I have recently completed. It was simplicity enough in installation, simply unscrew a tang bolt (in this case, a wood screw), put the screw through the peep rear sight, and screw it down.
I did take care with left/right alignment. Range is easily adjusted by loosening the peep portion, moving it up or down. Windage can be adjusted by loosening the tang bolt very slightly to move the sight left or right. Remember FORS - Front Opposite, Rear Same.
Tome let me know that various peep diameters can be obtained.
A peep rear sight and post front is how I learned to shoot more than 6 decades ago - and it is till easy to center the tip of the post - front sight - within the circle of the peep. MUCH easier for me than alignment with a wee slot in a rear sight.

Latest posts

Back