• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Folding Peep Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Have been experimenting with peep sight configurations lately and think I may have one now worth showing. Mounts to the tang using the existing tang screw. Adjustable for elevation and windage. .050" aperture. Allows use of buckhorn barrel sight when folded. Now I'm anxious to get to the range and try it out.

1604336517583.png

Anyone try a folding peep sight like a Lyman #2 on the tang of your percussion rifle?
Over the years I've seen a number of ML set up with these tang sights. Most often, the one intended for the Savage 99 comes closest to the correct wrist curvature. If you want to do this, you may need to remove the rear barrel-mounted sight to get a clear sight picture.

It works well, just looks a little "odd" to many, and may not be allowed in matches.

Well...a year later I have finally found time to refine this peep sight concept to the point that I am satisfied with it. This design is more robust, adjustable for windage and elevation, within reasonable limits and folds down permitting use of the barrel sight.

View attachment 107714 View attachment 107716 View attachment 107717
Ok Tom, what is this peep sight? Something you made? Can it be replicated? Reasonably easily? Purchased? It looks pretty good and robust.

Ok Tom, what is this peep sight? Something you made? Can it be replicated? Reasonably easily? Purchased? It looks pretty good and robust.
Well, I wont go so far as to say that its easy, but I'm working on a second one now. The aperture is made from a thumb screw and the rest of the components are fabricated from brass stock.

Have been experimenting with peep sight configurations lately and think I may have one now worth showing. Mounts to the tang using the existing tang screw. Adjustable for elevation and windage. .050" aperture. Allows use of buckhorn barrel sight when folded. Now I'm anxious to get to the range and try it out.

View attachment 48694
Most likely work very well, but looks out of place.

Back