Flying with a Muzzleloader

Discussion in 'U.S. Muzzleloader Hunting Regulations' started by timh, Jul 17, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 7, 2019 #21

oldtrobh

oldtrobh

oldtrobh

32 Cal.

HI All , travelling once with a flinter and took the lock off which I put in my carry on bag but they took it off me and put in the hold because it was a gun part the two screws that hold the lock in place got the same treatment .. I asked who could hi-jack a plane with a flintlock and two screws but rules are rules don't matter how stupid the rules or the people administering them are ..

2. Aug 22, 2019 at 4:41 PM #22

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.

I have flown with ML before also. As others have said, as soon as you walk into the airport tell the first Security guard or airline employee that you see that you need to check a firearm. I always keep the ammunition separate in my checked bag and declare that to. They will take all your bags at the same time and check you in. They just want to look in the case and fill out the appropriate forms. I put a sturdy lock in every place designed for one on the case and wear the key around my neck and have another key on my car keys. Usually you pick it up where the oversized luggage gets dropped off.

You can Not fly with loose black powder in a horn, flask or can!!!

Yes the residue will set off the machines so go extra early to deal with the delay. You will probably get the full body pat down, but you just need to show them your paperwork. You are not doing anything illegal so don't sweat it. It just takes time sometimes.

Good luck!!!

3. Aug 23, 2019 at 1:18 PM #23

Brent

Brent

Brent

40 Cal.

Having flown with firearms quite a few times, I do not tell the first person I see that I have a rifle to check. I just get in line to check baggage like anyone else, and then tell the counter worker that I have a firearm and proceed from there. I also, keep all of my ammo or bullets (for muzzleloaders) in the case with the rifle. That way, if the rifle makes it through, I'll be shooting. No sense splitting up rifle and ammo and double the chance of not having a disaster due to lost baggage on the other end. I have never had a problem flying with firearms, though going out of country can be a bit "interesting" at times.