• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flyers??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Kemp

36 Cal.
Reaction score
In working up a target load from the bench for my .45 cal. H&A underhammer, I settled on 45g. of 777. This gives me a nice tight group EXCEPT for the too-often flyer. And that's cleaning the bore between shots. Any thoughts on what's happening?

Often times a "flyer" is caused by a shredded or cut patch. After the "flyer" is shot, retrieve the patch. Or....sometimes it's the shooter......Fred

I'm going to say that your problem can be traced to your bore cleaning technique or to variations in the weight of the balls. This is based on what I have learned from Dutch Schoultz.
Click on this: www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com Then send him the $20. It will be the best $20 you will ever spend on muzzleloading and unlike anything else you may spend money on, his information will last the rest of your life. If, after reading the information that you receive and doing exactly what it says, that doesn't solve your problem, just give Dutch a call at the number that comes in the packet and he will talk you through the solution. :thumbsup: It just don't get no better than that for a $20 investment. :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
If your casting these balls a good scale would be a good investment. In fact weighing balls is always a good idea to make sure they are not causing the problem, If the patches look ragged try a thicker one.

I second the Dutch System I review mine regularly.

Geo. T.

Back