• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fly Has Flown!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalshaper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, they sure as heck named them correctly!! My Fly, has done flown the coop!! :wink:

Down working on my Underhammer, that I've built a double set trigger into. ( internal Mainspring as well ) I was fitting up the hammer with it's fly and just about had the durn thing in and trimmed..

Of course you all know the rest of the story.. one lil slip and the lil thing just up and disappeared!!! :shocked2: spent about 15-20 minutes down in my shop, looking for the lil buggar.. on hands and knees and even broke out the magnet sweep stick!! I'm beginning to think one of my shop spiders, carried the thing off out of spite??

Oh well, nothing but my pride was hurt?? and it "was" good practice making it.. as I do have a Muley lock,, that needs the hammer notched and a fly of it's own installed!! So I can make TWO now!! :rotf:

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Check shirt pockets, and the cuffs of your pants. Please don't ask me how I know this! :grin: :surrender: Thank you. :thumbsup:

Go ahead and make the other two, as soon as you do the spiders will bring that one back! :wink:

Cuffs on your pants???? My, you do go a long way
back...I remember we gave them up for the war
effort, along with "Lucky Strike Green"

paulvallandigham said:
Check shirt pockets, and the cuffs of your pants. Please don't ask me how I know this! :grin: :surrender: Thank you. :thumbsup:

Done and Done!! Checked my pockets, shoes, everywhere I could think of. Since my shop is in the basement and where I do our families laundry ( It's my excuse :grin: "gotta start some laundry Dear" then I never come back up for a couple of hours!!) I carefully shook out my clothes as I exited the shop...

No fly,,, grumble, mumble,, Damn Spider??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

No. I happen to be In between sizes, so my cuffs on my blue jeans are rolled up. Dress pants are another thing, as they are either sold without cuffs, or are hemmed to eliminate the necessity for cuffs.

But, Yes, I am an old guy. Life is not for the faint of heart. :grin: :hatsoff:

It is probably right in front of you & something laying over it. Easy solution, obtain 2 spare flys, then you will never need them...... That seems to work well with most parts. Doesn't works so well with girlfriends or wives, but hey, parts are normally much more reasonable..... :grin: :rotf: :rotf: :idunno:

Birddog6 said:
Easy solution, obtain 2 spare flys, then you will never need them......

Well :redface: in order to obtain two spare flys... I'd have to make them first!! :wink: since either of my locks, are my own custom builds... Now that Large Siler down there?? That's a different question...

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

As a last resort {I'm pretty stubborn} I ask the wife if she'd take a look...and just have to ignore all the snide remarks on a whole lot of subjects that she's been accummulating since the last lost component that she found and lo and behold, like magic, she asks.." is this the thing you can't find and don't bother me again". On her way out she asks..."is that all you've done these past weeks"?...as if she's an expert on building guns. Oh well, at least I don't have to remake or order a second part. Most of the time we get along wonderfully...it's just my punishment for losing parts, I guess.....Fred

Well :redface: in order to obtain two spare flys... I'd have to make them first!! :wink: since either of my locks, are my own custom builds...

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Be that the case, I would Definitely make a spare ! Nutherwords, especially if ya can't just buy one for $2. Have one extra so you don't have to go thru this again. :wink:

I should have about 20 flys in the dust under my workbench ! They dang sure went someplace...... :idunno:

Keith Lisle

My Helpful buddy Marlow, Suggested I hang rolls of "Fly paper" in my shop!! that way it might just attract the lil bugger.. and solve my problem!! :rotf:

Like I said,, He's Helpful!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Lordy........ And so simple......... And I have one hanging there in the gun shop 5' from me !! Dang it !! :shocked2: :shocked2: That is probably where mine all flew too !! :haha: :rotf: :rotf:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem! I have found a couple of small things (used a telescoping magnet) but most of the time those tiny pieces and screws just "vaporize" when they hit the floor; especially when you can't see which way they bounced! And yes, my wife has found a couple of those pieces for me too, most often when I've worked myself into such a state I can't see straight. Like when I've spent a couple of hours making the part and then drop it when I'm trying it for the final fit.

Ask your wife to remove her shoes and walk around your shop for a few minutes.

I'm betting it won't take long before a streak of profanity starts bellowing forth. You will find the missing fly imbedded right behind her big toe. :rotf:

Back