Florida Weather?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Two Feathers

58 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Howdy folks, Two Feathers here:
I wanted to say that my wife are I both putting up prayers for the great folks of Florida and everywhere nearby during this devastating Hurricane.
I know we have a number of awesome members here from Florida and I want them to know that we have NOT forgotten them in this time of chaos.
I realize no religious talk is allowed on the website, but I think (sans a few) everyone here will agree that those folks need our prayers, so please pray.
I have a few very good friends who live smack dab in the middle of this storm! I'm trying to make contact with those people in limited bits, so as not to overwhelm them when they have much more important things to worry about.
At the risk of breaking the rules, I'd like to say God bless those souls and please stay as safe as you can until this passes. We're all thinking about you.
God bless:
Dave "Two Feathers" Slusser

Steel Hayes

Collector of cheap antiquities
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My father live just south of Orlando, I was able to talk with him yesterday afternoon. He said at the time that there was lots of rain and wind, the phone system went out around 6pm and haven’t heard back yet.
He’s to stubborn to get and use a cell phone.

Notchy Bob

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I live in the same general area as @Slinginslugs . We have had a lot of wind, there is a lot of debris on the ground, and there are some trees down. The wind is still blowing as of right now (around 2:30 pm Thursday) and is expected to continue for some hours yet. I'm not sure of the wind speed... treetops are waving, but I've been outdoors picking up debris, and the wind is nowhere close to hurricane force. Just windy. We got a little rain yesterday, but not as much as expected. There are widespread but scattered power outages. My family and I are all managing well.

A feeder line did go down on property adjacent to ours. Neighbors found it pretty quickly and got the power company to shut off the juice, but until they did, one eyewitness told me the line was whipping around like a giant snake. If any of you folks see a power line down, don't go near it. Call the power company. If it is near a wire fence, don't touch the fence, either! We had a lightning strike on our place a couple of years ago that energized the fencing all around our property. It was only briefly, but it welded the links on the chains we had latching our gates, hundreds of feet from the strike. I'm not kidding.

It was really the coastal areas of southwest Florida that took the hit from Ian, a couple hundred miles south of us. Florida is not only generally flat, but is low. I think our highest point in the state is a bit over 300 feet. Our place is considered to be on high ground, at about 88 feet above sea level, and about in the middle of the peninsula. Anyway, a storm surge of only a couple of feet can go pretty far inland along the Florida coastline, and I understand the surge around Punta Gorda and Naples was 8-10 feet. They don't call it a tsunami because it is generated by wind and low atmospheric pressure instead of seismic activity, but the net result of a "storm surge" is exactly the same.

I haven't ventured far off our property yet today. I think we in North Florida will have some cleanup to do and a lot of folks here will cope with power outages for a while, but the damage in southwest Florida is apparently catastrophic. I hope some of the brethren who live down there will give us a report from the field.

Meanwhile, I'm sure I can speak for all of us in saying we appreciate your kind regard and would like to thank you for your concern.

...and thank you, brother @Two Feathers , for starting the conversation!

Blessings,

Notchy Bob

TarponStalker

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their prayers. We got lucky. Ian was scheduled to come right to us in Central Florida. The early turn east saved us. Just two days of rain and wind here. But I do feel bad for those in sw Florida. It’s very bad down there. I finally heard from one friend yesterday but I don’t know about the others that live on the coast or coastal islands. They do need our prayers.

Two Feathers

58 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Howdy folks:
My wife and I have life long friends who moved to Englewood, Fla. about 25 years ago. I'm not sure exactly what part of Florida that's in, I think the central West Coast?
We haven't heard from him or his wife, but we're praying for them, and all y'all down there.
I'm happy to hear that so many members made it through the rough part. Now we just need to pray for those whom we HAVEN'T heard from.
I feel very fortunate that we chose to move back to Pa. from Titusville, Florida a number of years ago. Nothing against Florida or it's gracious, people we miss the Southern Hospitality and fantastic food. There were a lot of great times and wonderful people down there, but with our age and health, it was just better for us to be back here with family. Prayers going out to Florida.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Two Feathers

58 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
I live in the same general area as @Slinginslugs . We have had a lot of wind, there is a lot of debris on the ground, and there are some trees down. The wind is still blowing as of right now (around 2:30 pm Thursday) and is expected to continue for some hours yet. I'm not sure of the wind speed... treetops are waving, but I've been outdoors picking up debris, and the wind is nowhere close to hurricane force. Just windy. We got a little rain yesterday, but not as much as expected. There are widespread but scattered power outages. My family and I are all managing well.

A feeder line did go down on property adjacent to ours. Neighbors found it pretty quickly and got the power company to shut off the juice, but until they did, one eyewitness told me the line was whipping around like a giant snake. If any of you folks see a power line down, don't go near it. Call the power company. If it is near a wire fence, don't touch the fence, either! We had a lightning strike on our place a couple of years ago that energized the fencing all around our property. It was only briefly, but it welded the links on the chains we had latching our gates, hundreds of feet from the strike. I'm not kidding.

It was really the coastal areas of southwest Florida that took the hit from Ian, a couple hundred miles south of us. Florida is not only generally flat, but is low. I think our highest point in the state is a bit over 300 feet. Our place is considered to be on high ground, at about 88 feet above sea level, and about in the middle of the peninsula. Anyway, a storm surge of only a couple of feet can go pretty far inland along the Florida coastline, and I understand the surge around Punta Gorda and Naples was 8-10 feet. They don't call it a tsunami because it is generated by wind and low atmospheric pressure instead of seismic activity, but the net result of a "storm surge" is exactly the same.

I haven't ventured far off our property yet today. I think we in North Florida will have some cleanup to do and a lot of folks here will cope with power outages for a while, but the damage in southwest Florida is apparently catastrophic. I hope some of the brethren who live down there will give us a report from the field.

Meanwhile, I'm sure I can speak for all of us in saying we appreciate your kind regard and would like to thank you for your concern.

...and thank you, brother @Two Feathers , for starting the conversation!

Blessings,

Notchy Bob
Notchy Bob:
I'm happy to hear that you and your family have remained unscathed, for the most part. It slipped my mind that you were in Fla.?
Has anyone heard from Doc Ivory? I emailed him about 3 days ago before all H broke loose and he said the only thing they had at THAT time were some "exciting winds." Leave it to Doc. :dunno: :doh: He's always good for a laugh, no matter the circumstances. He and his wife live in Naples, Fla. right in the middle of the worst of this.
Hopefully they're OK?
Still praying for the state and the Southern East Coast. Y'all be safe.
God bless:
Two Feathers