• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesbstrong

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Have just purchased a Long Land Pattern, made by a man from Mass. named John Bosh. The flint that was in the jaws was dammaged beyond use - but a very thick "rock" 0.50". All the English flints I have seen are much thinner, and I suspect will not last long, since this gun has a really strong main spring. Question: source for these flints on steroids. Also, anyone know anything about this builder.
Thanks, Jim

I suspect it was a Tom Fuller English Flint, they are about 1/2 inch thick at the base, the #9 Eng-Flint, or it could have been a home chipped flint chard...

English Flint

Antique Arms Restoration (John Bosh) specializes in 17th and 18th century firearms and repairs to these arms. John is in eastern Massachusetts at 508-695-3548.

Do you notice any difference between black and amber flints?
I have never seen or used amber flints.

amber are or WERE from france, in SOME guns they SEEM to spark better, last[url] longer...in[/url] other locks it's just the opposit....try both and see wich your gun prefers..

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased some amber flints several years ago, just to try them. They are much harder and hotter :imo: :imo: than the regular English flints and are really agressive on the frizzen. I use mine only in extreme wet conditions. From what I have read, the mountain man was always on the look out for this type of flint.
Bushwhacker

Back