• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flints??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What is your favorite type flint and where's a good place to get them.Might wait for friendship. What size normally does a large siler use?

I like the Fuller, English Black flints I have acquired from Track of the Wolf. I use the 3/4”/#6 in my Large Silers.
3AD0017D-38BF-47FE-A39A-DF0DB74E472C.jpeg

What is your favorite type flint and where's a good place to get them.Might wait for friendship. What size normally does a large siler use?
I like English black flints that are knapped such that there is a flat top. Track of the Wolf has been one of my suppliers. Track recommends 3/4" flints in the large Siler.
Larry

English black from track of the wolf , but I have been testing some French black flits from Heritage that really seem to be working very well.

I have the best luck with either Black English and French Amber. The French Amber is a little but harder, but some guns like the English flint better. Several factors include the hardness of the frizzen, the geometry, and the strength of the cock spring, and of course the piece of rock itself. The hardness will vary from flint to flint. I suggest never using those machine cut flints. They last no time, and never give good sparks. Make sure you use the right width hand knapped flints. Measure your frizzen if you're not sure. My frizzen is 3/4" so I don't want to use 5/8 flints.

I've known several people who swear by the amber, French flints...."they spark more" and "They last longer"..., never found that to be true. I always use good, English flints, especially in repro English muskets!

They are rocks everyone will be a little different. I like to go to a real shop where I can hand pick them. I bet Uncle Miltie goes to the log cabin shop to buy them

I always hand pick my own. I will be buying some at the Fort Frederick Market Fair the last weekend in April. However for the OP, Kalamazoo Living History Show is 3.5 hours away on March 18th - 19th. That's another good place.

LD

I have found a trader that handles a large amount of quality flints. I always go to him and check out what he has. I will go through perhaps a hundred+ to pick out the 20/25 which I’ll need for the year.
Doc,

Back