• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlocks...Do's and Don'ts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one not yet mentioned...,

Shoot your flintlock, A Lot!

Yes by all means, get some books and read up on flintlocks. :thumb:
Learn some of the things to be careful about, to prevent damage and to give your flintlock a long and dependable life. :thumb:

BUT to really get to the point where you're comfortable with the flintlock, you must shoot it a lot, and learn it's quirks.
BP guns and rifles, especially flinters are all a bit different, EVEN if you had two side by side from the factory, say Lyman rifles, with sequential serial numbers, like as not they'd each like something different done a certain way to make them shoot the best. They won't be identical. They should be, but they won't be. No idea why, but I kinda like that fact.

Shoot in damp weather, shoot in cold weather, shoot in hot, sunny weather. Get to know your flintlock. :D

LD

I have just one more thing to add. I share this from experience.

When cocking a loaded and primed flintlock rifle, always make good and sure your barrel is pointed down range in a safe direction.

My thumb once slipped as I was cocking and the hammer came down upon the frizzon. I had what is called an accidental misfire. Fortunately my barrel was pointed down range and I was alone at the time. I was cocking the lock from the hip in preparation to shoulder the piece.

Did the same thing long ago, Captjoel. Unfortunately my right hand was spread open on the lock side and got "dusted" by the burned powder. It hurt, man did it hurt! I spent months picking out little black specks but finally got them all. Never again.

Back