• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlocks book, revised edition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings, all,
Finally I can report some progress on the second edition of Flintlocks - a Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation. The first edition sold out months ago, and it has taken longer than anticipated to prepare the newly revised edition. I am proofreading everything now; in a matter of days it will be in the printer's hands, so with luck we should soon have copies available for sale. When the book is ready I will post a notice. Thanks to everyone for waiting patiently.
Shoot straight,
Eric Bye

Eric,
Thanks for giving us the update. The first edition is so comprehensive I'm curious to see the revisions. And once an available and affordable edition is back in stock I plan to give a couple as gifts to young relatives (early 30s).

Jeff

Greetings, all,
Finally I can report some progress on the second edition of Flintlocks - a Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation. The first edition sold out months ago, and it has taken longer than anticipated to prepare the newly revised edition. I am proofreading everything now; in a matter of days it will be in the printer's hands, so with luck we should soon have copies available for sale. When the book is ready I will post a notice. Thanks to everyone for waiting patiently.
Shoot straight,
Eric Bye

Can/will you share how much/what percentage of the book has been revised? 5%, 10%?

This is the 3rd time I have asked and no response.

Last edited:
What is the book about? Does it have function,Tuning and design? Or is it more of a history of flintlocks?
Thanks
Stank

"This book by Eric Bye is a compilation of information that should satisfy the interest of anyone pursuing the understanding, proper care, and use of the flintlock muzzleloading guns. The two sections “Problems and Solutions” and “Trivia and Tidbits” add much interest to the book, along with the tremendous historical research the author has done.

In these pages Eric has well covered flintlock muzzleloading guns of all types, from rifles to pistols, smoothbores, and shotguns. Many years must have been consumed in the research and study of these guns in order to compile so much technical information. Even after 50 years of shooting, studying, custom building, and collecting fine Kentucky rifles I feel this book will be an asset to my library."

– Homer L. Dangler

Review.jpg

To answer Stank's question above, the Flintlocks book contains only a little history. The development of the flint lock has been covered well elsewhere (e.g., in Torsten Lenk's book titled, logically, The Flintlock. It's a fine book in its own right, but it's almost all history, and quite focused on Europe. My book is written for flintlock shooters and hunters, and it stresses the skills and practices that will make the transition to flintlock shooting enjoyable and rewarding. I hope this helps; if you have further questions, just let me know.
Thanks for your interest.
Eric

To answer Stank's question above, the Flintlocks book contains only a little history. The development of the flint lock has been covered well elsewhere (e.g., in Torsten Lenk's book titled, logically, The Flintlock. It's a fine book in its own right, but it's almost all history, and quite focused on Europe. My book is written for flintlock shooters and hunters, and it stresses the skills and practices that will make the transition to flintlock shooting enjoyable and rewarding. I hope this helps; if you have further questions, just let me know.
Thanks for your interest.
Eric
Let me know when it comes out please

I'd be more than happy to volunteer as a proof reader! ;)
The first edition had many typo's and mis-labeled pictures. Hopefully the editors of the new edition will be more alert to the text and picture captions. I enjoyed the the first edition book, and am looking forward to the revised edition.

Greetings, all,
Shoot straight,
Eric Bye
I have the 1st Ed. and have recommended it to people several times. BTW, I was going to order the Hawken book from the NMLRA, but the price jumped from 50 to 100 dollars overnight, even though the latest July issue of MB had it at the orig. 50 dollar price point. It may be a co-incidence, but a recent article in either MB or ML magazine recounted the after-market bounties regarding out-of-print muzzleloading books. Just sayin' .

The first edition had many typo's and mis-labeled pictures. Hopefully the editors of the new edition will be more alert to the text and picture captions. I enjoyed the the first edition book, and am looking forward to the revised edition.

I simply do not understand how a relatively simple book can make it to the printer and have those kinds of problems.
Didn’t it occur to someone in the chain from the author to the publishing company to have the manuscript proof read by at least 3 people with intimate knowledge on the subject before it was released to the publisher?
I realize there are a lot of people in our hobby that can’t spell worth a manure, and are not all that great at sentence structure either ( not perfect myself ), but there are also many who can do those things, as well as tell if a caption does not match the picture, etc.
I bought a small book written by a couple of guys a few years ago about shooting percussion revolvers. Covered velocity testing in various models and calibers, load charts, tips on maintenance, etc.
While the printed information was detailed and accurate, the illustrations were terrible. Some of the pictures were way too small to see the details even though they were in the middle of a large space on the page with no wording. Looked like bad cut and paste attempts. The fact that the pictures were in black and white was not so bad, but the size and graininess of most of them was.
Maybe the book was literally printed and put together at somebody’s house.

It was an interesting read for the most part, but was very poorly executed.

I fail to see how those kinds of mistakes make into print without someone catching them.
Didn’t the author get to do a final review before printing?
This subject is not rocket science.

Back