• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlocks aren't accurate.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Target shot by a friend of mine in the rest portion of the one-gun match at 100 yards using his normal .45 offhand flintlock rifle. I witnessed every shot (5) through my spotting scope.

Now, if you ever say that your friend who shot that target got 2nd place I'll throw all my flint guns in the river and take up belly dancing! :rolleyes:

My first shots with my new Kibler SMR in 45 used 440 ball and 0.015 patch. They grouped, but not same hole at 27 yards. Pretty easy to load.
Today I tried 445 ball and 0.015 patch. First hole not touching, other 4 shots touching. Used 70 grain Goex 3F. They were kinda tough to go down the tube.
I guess Ill try 440 and 0,018 to see if I still get touching holes and a little less loading resistance.
I also wanted to try 50 grains Goex for paper, and get settings known for 25, 50 and 100 yards.
I put adjustable peep sights on it, so pretty easy to get things dialed in.
Around here, hunting shots are under 50 yards most of the time.
IMG_5237.jpg

In accurate compared to what? I am yet unable to shoot a 2” group at 100 meters and am pretty happy with 3”
this was 20 grns fffg Swiss ,.389 ball 5 shots

Attachments

• D7F801BB-02C6-4A84-AF0B-EBB355E05D98.jpeg
    D7F801BB-02C6-4A84-AF0B-EBB355E05D98.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I can keep 5 shots in a quarter at 25 yards with my .32 caliber flintlock. I'm sure the gun is capable of better than that in better hands.

One either has to accept the limitations of going traditional muzzleloader or stick with modern cartridges! Simple as that!
I was taught that any inherent inaccuracies in rifle could be overcome by a good marksman and even a good rifle could improve the skills of a bad marksman. that being said, never been much into muzzleloaders, always kept myself to C&B revolvers. Had a friend that was heavy into muzzleloaders, hunting and target shooting. Shot one of his Hawkens once using what he called a 'competition target, (the outline of an antique bottle printed on a brown piece of paper.) He told me that the highest score was obtained by 'breaking' the neck of the bottle at 50 yards. Perhaps all muzzleloaders aren't as accurate as his Hawken, but I managed to 'break' the bottle neck every time at 50 yards. Always thought that it was pretty good shooting, never having handled a muzzleloader the before. He seemed impressed, but then I always thought that a 50 yd. shot was nothing, having been a sniper in Viet-Nam.

Back