• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlocks and manual transmissions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I remember when they used to say " Learn to drive a manual. Then you can drive anything."
Quite true!
I've come to realize that, if you can accurately and consistently shoot a flintlock, you can accurately and consistently shoot anything else.
The discipline required to master a flintlock really is far and above any other type of rifle. The lock/ ignition time absolutely highlights any failure by the shooter. Throw in set triggers, yes they're wonderful, but they do add to lock time. You pull the trigger, it trips another trigger which THEN trips the sear. Single triggers remove the middle step. Every little bit helps...
Been chipping a lot of flint lately, in my new Pennsylvania Hunter. I've also noticed an improvement in accuracy and consistency with my sidelock and unmentionable percussion rifles.
So, there you have it. The flintlock. The manual transmission of the rifle world. If you can shoot one of these, you can shoot anything!

Hmmm...,

THINKING BABY.JPG

I have 12 flintlocks...
I drive a Subaru Forester with a manual transmission....,

LD

I remember when they used to say " Learn to drive a manual. Then you can drive anything."
Quite true!
I've come to realize that, if you can accurately and consistently shoot a flintlock, you can accurately and consistently shoot anything else.
The discipline required to master a flintlock really is far and above any other type of rifle. The lock/ ignition time absolutely highlights any failure by the shooter. Throw in set triggers, yes they're wonderful, but they do add to lock time. You pull the trigger, it trips another trigger which THEN trips the sear. Single triggers remove the middle step. Every little bit helps...
Been chipping a lot of flint lately, in my new Pennsylvania Hunter. I've also noticed an improvement in accuracy and consistency with my sidelock and unmentionable percussion rifles.
So, there you have it. The flintlock. The manual transmission of the rifle world. If you can shoot one of these, you can shoot anything!
Nice post! You made me think about set triggers and lock time. There is more mechanical action going on, but I am asking the boys out there:
Which is faster when timed, at set or single trigger?
Larry

A Friend of mine always says…. This is a sport that rewards practice….👍

One of the hardest things for me growing up shooting quail behind pointing dogs was the tendency too snatch the trigger, instead of squeezing it… Sometimes I still catch myself doing it….

Muddly, that's hilarious and yet can be so true. I love flintlocks, always have. To me they create a visceral experience that no other firearm does for me. Get everything right and there is only a mili-second perceived delay between squeezing the trigger and the ball going down range, miss any one of things needed to make that happen and the delay becomes noticeable. Maybe that's part of the beauty of flintlocks. But I can go you one better. :) Yesterday my Flintlock/Percussion double barrel smoothbore arrived. I don't mean flintlock on one side and percussion on the other, I mean flintlock and percussion on both sides. It's so cool. And if firing with a cap there is a little door to slide that covers the flash hole. Firing with flint and the door of course has to be open. One more thing to remember to do. Haven't shot it yet, still drooling over it. (and waiting to finish repairing my roundball mold so i can run ball for it) An awesome hobby for sure that unfortunately is slowly diminishing as we die off.

But hey, we used to be able to say that about the muscle cars we drove a kids, but they have made and continue to make an excellent comeback (probably because of us but oh well). So hopefully the same thing will happen in muzzleloading.

Last edited:
You definitely need to be more in touch with your equipment either way . Several flint guns and a 3/4 ton 5spd manual. My thinking anymore is that set triggers are for bench/rest shooting.

Well I am the odd man out, I learned to drive on a John Deere tractor, all our trucks were stick shifts...Bought my first flintlock in 1977, a custom made rifle, made by Bob Watts, Siler Lock, Davis Double set triggers...First shot bullseye...Never looked back, learned to keep the flint sharp, powder dry and load down a clean barrel with an open touch hole...Nothing to it fellows... :)

Agreed! Accuracy with a flintlock and controlled driving with a manual means interest, training, practice, and appreciation of the mechanisms and acquired skills. There's real satisfaction in it.(Although driving a Checker Marathon taxi with manual transmission and no power steering or brakes on small town streets can tax that appreciation.)

I would add using hand tools for wood working. Gives me the same kind of enjoyment.

Jeff

I think that I first read of flintlocks being the best training rifles for shooting all the rest, especially marksmanship, in a piece by Julian Hatcher.
It may be in ‘Hatcher’s Notebook’, must have a look tonight.

I currently drive a Toyota utility with manual transmission and no, repeat no, computer, has manual door locks and mirror adjustment.

Last edited:
“Yet The day of the painstaking methodical rifleman who’s motto was One hit is worth more the a thousand miss’s is gone, It went with the passing of the Muzzleloading Rifle”
Who knows where that Quote is from? I can’t remember anything BUT I remember reading the in the late 70’s

If your sights don't move when you klatch (and if you haven't, you will eventually) you will be a good flintlock shooter.

I always use the set trigger when shooting off hand or the bench, not sure why you wouldn't.

The only manual transmissions I use now days are motorcycle transmissions. Got rid of the tail dragger years ago. The flintlock, however, has returned to me. I built it from a kit long ago and just didn't get along with it. Last January after using the caplock to take a buck during late season here in Missouri, my love of black powder returned. I required my old TC flinter, bought a good lock from a member here, and I'm getting ready for the season to open.

And, yeah, I'm learning to pay attention to what I'm doing. It's a lot easier with a lock that fires in a timely manner.

Latest posts

Back