• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock vs Percussion #'s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter Getter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wondering of those that belong to muzzleloader clubs or take part in traditional shoots.........what do you think the ratio of flintlock vs percussion guns are? 40/60 percussion.......20/80 percussion? Just wondering as I have asked a couple of custom builders and surprised when they said of THEIR builds it was around 50/50. What say you all? Greg. :)

I think what custom builders build, has no bearing on what competition shooters use.....They are unrelated.

I've seen clubs that were (for the most part )either all percussion or all flintlock... Some builders build to order and some build to their liking.....
I think your question is far too broad and generalized to produce any accuracy...It needs more definite parameters.

Just my opinion..... :v

Ok then, let's just open it up to a wild guess as to hunters across the USA as to which traditional guns get used to hunt with the most and the ratio. Flintlock vs Percussion. Greg. :)

'morning,

At the club I belong to, it's a 1:1 ratio. Because to the best of my knowledge, I'm the only bp shooter, and I shoot both...

Calum

IF you use "all muzzleloaders" then probably 99:1 percussion to flinters, or even percussion vs. flinter, doglock, wheel lock, matchlock. That's because you have to include those rifles that shall-not-be-named in the mix.

If talking traditional sidelocks..., probably 90:10 at a club where all guns including modern ones are allowed and some of the members also use traditional black powder rifles and guns such as the club where I shoot.

Otherwise a lot of clubs are specific on the types of ignition used...,

LD

Critter Getter said:
Ok then, let's just open it up to a wild guess as to hunters across the USA as to which traditional guns get used to hunt with the most and the ratio. Flintlock vs Percussion.
People in general like simple, less involved and fewer steps when it comes to life in general, so I'd have to guess percussion.

Critter Getter said:
Just wondering of those that belong to muzzleloader clubs or take part in traditional shoots.........what do you think the ratio of flintlock vs percussion guns are? 40/60 percussion.......20/80 percussion? Just wondering as I have asked a couple of custom builders and surprised when they said of THEIR builds it was around 50/50. What say you all? Greg. :)

We don't have a club, but up to a dozen of us shoot regularly on our own and get together from time to time. In our "group" it would to 1/12 or 8% flint.

That's because I'm the only one shooting flint. Heck, I'm the only one in the group at even owns a flinter. In fact I own half a dozen, so I'm really weird. :wink:

In my muzzleloader club, all guns are tradional but as far as I know, I'm the only flintlock shooter in the club. Heck, I don't even own a caplock, except for my TC Patriot.

In the PNW I would guess it's less than 1% flintlocks in the hunting fields. I've never seen anybody but me using one.

The competitive paper punchers have flintlocks but they don't use them unless there's a designated flintlocks only relay. Any open relays they use percussion.

Trail walks at rondies tend to have a higher percentage of flinters, probably 20% or more on the rifle and pistol trails. Flinters also tend to win out of proportion to their numbers, probably because people that have flintlocks tend to know how to use them and it ain't their first rodeo.

Most of the events I go to are flint-only, the rendezvous club I belong to is flint-only, one of the clubs I shoot with about half of the members are also in my rondy club, so my experience is biased.

I have several friends who I know hunt with flintlocks but I have never actually seen another hunter besides myself carrying a flintlock on a hunt.

There is another traditional shooting club that I shoot with. They are a fairly diverse group as far as traditional muzzleloader shooters go, so I am going to base my guess on the members there and say 70:30 percussion.

I wonder what the NMLRA would say... :hmm:

Our group doesn't allow percussion guns at our events and shoots... Which is fine, I'm not a fan of cappers though I own two... :redface:

The vast majority of my historical interpretation and events are also based on the 1700'stock.

Personally from the publics standpoint the vast majority of individuals are more inspired by the flintlock. Mainly due to misconceptions about reliability. Once they are properly educated they are intrigued even more.

Probably a two way street, however you can't go back in time with a capper as you'd be out of place. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for someone carrying a flinter at say, an event based upon the later 1800's.

I dont know but about 3 other traditional gun shooters in my neck of the woods but just myself an one of my friends shoot flintlock. The other 2 I know shoot cussion guns. I own only 1 cussion rifle an the rest of my herd is flint guns

here in PA where we have the "flintlock only season" brings the % of flintlocks way up. however, now that inlines and percussion guns are allowed in the 1st week early season, that brings the numbers up a bit.

Grumpa said:
blackpowder62 said:
i believe PA is the only state with a "flintlock only season".

And long may it prosper! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Richard/Grumpa

I WISH the Pa Game Commission would allow flintlock season to run concurrently with bow season. Instead, we get a couple of weeks of rotten weather after the deer have been rifle hunted. :cursing:

I have both flint and persuction, but rarely shoot the latter. My first ML rifle was an early CVA Mountain Rifle and I still have it.

There are no organized MLer shoots at my home club, but there is a group of us that shoot regularly, and always flintlock. The "occasional" MLer shooters seem to be mostly flint.

Just wondering of those that belong to muzzleloader clubs or take part in traditional shoots...

Not all muzzleloader clubs are "traditional", and a lot of shooting clubs have muzzleloader shooters, so I broke down the reply from the widest set, to subsequent smaller, subsets is all.
:wink: :surrender:

LD

My club is traditional, but most shooters use commercially made percussion side locks. Out of 30 shooters at a woods walk, 2 or 3 of us are using flintlocks. However; most of the matches are won with a flintlock :wink:

Back