• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock vs Percussion ends Sept. 30, 2011

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's OK, we know the cappers are more accurate anyways! :rotf:

I actually have the rest of the week off! Gonna go burn some powder!

I went out this morning again . . . left later than I planned . . . had already warmed up to 78º by 9:00, tomorrow, I'll need to head out earlier!

I shoot down next to an old gravel pit, or maybe a small open pit mine? There is lots of trash down in "the hole", so I find a berm of dirt/gravel to put behind my target trap, just incase I should miss the trap!

I shoot into a boolit trap I made out of a cardboard box, filled with shredded rubber mulch, to recover my lead, to re-melt! :wink:

When I got there this morning I realized that I was gonna have to share my range! Usually maybe 20% of the time, there is somebody else there, but there down in the pit . . . today there were about 20 of these lousy critters up in MY RANGE! :cursing:

Me being the nice guy that I am . . . I decided I would see if I could convince them to go elsewhere . . . :idunno: As I get out of my car, they start coming over to see what I have . . .

Cows2.jpg

Cows1.jpg

Right in my shooting lane!
Cows3.jpg

I try to shoo them off . . . try waving my arm and yelling at them to go away, as I chase them around my car . . . they really liked me, and thought I had brought them something . . . apparently these cows had not yet finished the course "English as a second language"! :youcrazy:

So . . . I decide . . . :hmm: Maybe some blackpowder could encourage them to go away! :grin:

I normally dump 10 grains down, holding the muzzle up, I install a cap, and confirm the ignition system is working, this also is my "fouling shot" . . . so I do this, the little ones run away! The bigger ones lumber away disappointed . . .

I was having fun shooting, not really doing good, but just having a good time burning up powder! I lost track of shots taken, so I walked up, and saw the two lower shots, and went back to put another one in the bull (target, not cattle!) just as I pulled the trigger, I was distracted by a lousy bug! pulled that one high and to the right!

9-21-11.jpg

1/3" better than before . . . but I know I can do better . . .

I also learned that when there are bugs are flying about your face, that it is VERY BAD to swat at them when you have your patch knife in your hand! It turned out OK, I realized at the VERY last split second, that I was swinging a knife at my head! I was wearing a cowboy hat, and that took some of the blow as I ducked. I almost won a darwin award! :redface:

Get your targets in the mail soon!

Mike Brines said:
That's like my targets!! Always a "fly"er. :rotf:

I just woke up from my nap . . . took me a minute to get it! Your such a funny guy!

I got the rest of the week off . . . gonna go out shooting every morning, well . . . that is the plan!

I'm not really an experienced shooter, and have shot off hand very little . . . I really need to practice . . . good thing I only use 30 grains of powder, makes for pleasant shooting, and keeps my powder keg fuller!

I'm thinking of hosting a virtual woods walk here on-line, and it will be one shot per target, like the get to the point one just started . . . I need to be able to make em' count, not shoot 50 targets, and turn in the best one!

Yep, Jethro, I shot for the flinters, wasn't the best, wind was blowing, thunderstorm was moving in, was hoping to get out and shoot again but never got the time. Hope I didn't hurt the average too much.
Deadeye

Thanks, That one was definitely a surprise. It is normally much worse.Usually two good ones and a Holy Moly.

I tend to drift to the right as I break the shot offhand and was having pretty good luck at calling my shots so I hate to change the sights when I know it is me because I am afraid that if I shoot sitting I will end up shooting to the left. After this group I changed the sights and sure enough, was shooting to the left, even offhand :idunno:

BrianL said:
About that sight adjustment :cursing:

That's pretty consistent shooting . . . glad your on my team!

BTW . . . when things like that happen I always remember that the wind was blowing, or the sun was in my eye . . . :rotf:

Seriously though, when you use a bigger charge, does it shoot more to the left?

Yesterday when I was shooting, I had left my sights for the 25 gr charge, and tried to compensate for the 30 gr I was shooting, which tends to be more accurate . . . finally got out my screw driver and picked up the sight two clicks, and moved it left one notch, back to dead center, then I ran out of the slightly too thin (-.001) patch material, but still wanted to shoot, and found that I still had some of the "good" patch material left . . . had to drop it one click and, moved it back right one notch, just by changing patching . . . :idunno:

:hmm: I hadn't thought of the light load and you are probably right because when I looked at the old targets with the hunting load the groups were well centered.Figured maybe I had bumped them

BrianL said:
Thanks, That one was definitely a surprise. It is normally much worse.Usually two good ones and a Holy Moly.

Like this on I shot this morning:
9-22-111.jpg

I can't even come up with an excuse . . . :idunno: just pulled the trigger at the wrong time! :surrender:

I did a little better this morning:
9-22-112.jpg

Still need to work on off hand shooting, and these iron sights, are much different than the glass I'm use to!

I like these friendly matches, as they challenge me to do better, this for me anyways is a match between myself! Always trying to get better.

You, too, huh? I did almost the same thing with three shots in a 3/8" hole but too low and right as is yours. It looked really good but the score wasn't. I shot another target centered but not very tight that actually should be a reasonable score.

I sent my flintlock target in the mail yesterday. As soon as the weather and my schedule permit, I'll shoot the caplock target. Thought I'd shoot both sides this time.

Just a thought, who is a left- hander? Maybe we could have a sub catagory, Lefty's vs Righty's?. How about it? I'm a Lefty.

I fired 2 targets this week and could not figure wich one was best so I just mailed both of em.Any way they are on thier way.I am enjoying the online matches ,Thanks

Just came back from putting my target in the mailbox. Hope you get it before next saturday......................watch yer top knot............

Back