• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock vs Percussion Cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45 yrs ago built my first rifle. Two piece stock 45 cal capper in my lap after work and helping with new born and it looks it today. Still have it and hits where i aim cloverleafs. I do not shoot it enough and i am sure it hates sitting in a gun rack. Did not get another for 30 years. Lefty flinter. Have more cappers than flint but i got more invested in my flinters as they are handbuilt. I enjoy the 3f's. I call it the flintlock fiddle factor. My hat is off to those that survived with them and damp powder issues. I have discovered a TC 56 cal smoothbore in the last 6 weeks. It is a capper but a whole new level of fun and learning. The next question is who prefers half stock over full stock?
What are your shooting out of that TC 56 cal?

What are your shooting out of that TC 56 cal?
Right not 75gr 3f goex, 535 rb and pillow ticking, moose juice lube. Sighted in so far at 25 yards and feel good to 50. Not tried shot or larger ball yet.

I own only a single muzzleloader and it will probably remain that way for a while. I built a 50 caliber, Lancaster-style Colonial longrifle last winter. I love shooting it and the feeling of connecting with history. The long sleek lines and beautiful curly maple are very pleasing to the eye.

View attachment 128982

Colt also likes it.
View attachment 128983
That’s a stunningly beautiful rifle, sir! Did the app reverse the negative, or is that actually a left handed flintlock?

I began my black powder shooting/hunting with a percussion rifle in the 70’s, it was the first year that my residing state opened a dedicated ML deer season. After a few successes, I decided to give the flintlock a try. I was intrigued with both the history, mechanism, and the appearance. After alternating between both designs for roughly a decade I eventually purchased a higher end rifle with Siler lock. This rifle was a dream to shoot matching the reliability, and accuracy of my percussion rifles. I have used flintlocks just about exclusively for the last 30+ years.

I have both. Cap guns are easier to shoot and maintain. Flinchlock mechanisms are perty much all the same. Seen one seen them all.
Need to go out and shoot a flintlock. No sense having one unless you use it.

BTW, Flinchlock threads 9.6K. Percussion 13.3K.

You call Flintlocks "perty much all the same...seen one seem them all" so care to tell us all about the glaring and unique differences in.....Percussion locks ?

May I refer you to "Specsavers" it can change your life LOL

How about powdered wigs with pigtails and knickers for effete flinchlockers…?

Only on Friday and Saturday evenings after we've been partaking of Pheasant shooting and the Ladies expect us to join them around the Clavier under candlelight......but this is to polite a forum to reveal what goes on in such esteemed company.

You call Flintlocks "perty much all the same...seen one seem them all" so care to tell us all about the glaring and unique differences in.....Percussion locks ?

May I refer you to "Specsavers" it can change your life LOL
No, my post had the desired effect. Thanks. 😁

Latest posts

Back