• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock vs Percussion Cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
every time i finish a new build it becomes my new favorite. and since i have only built flintlocks that is my favorite.
BUT. i do have a TC Hawken flint that i have tuned the lock on and hardened the frizzen. it wouldn't spark for anything before.
now i can sit and fire it 30 times without a hiccup. it is .45 cal and is a laser. shoots far better than I do.
Today it got out shined by the new Tennessee Mountain Classic i finished. with minimal tweaking of the sights it was putting the ball exactly where the sights were pointing. now if i could point the sights where i wanted them the world would be at peace!

I own only a single muzzleloader and it will probably remain that way for a while. I built a 50 caliber, Lancaster-style Colonial longrifle last winter. I love shooting it and the feeling of connecting with history. The long sleek lines and beautiful curly maple are very pleasing to the eye.

Mine 11.jpg

Colt also likes it.
Mine 13.jpg

Favorite? Thats a real tuff one! All my rifles are my favorites each in their own way. My favorite of my two flintlocks is a late 70's kit numbered TC Hawken .45 caliber rifle. With my cap lock 1864 Springfield (all original) rifle I love to surprise those "Black Rifle' guys when shooting. I can slam the gong at 100 yards all day long with it! It is so accurate!! Its my favorite of the two being consistent is that. As for "shock and awe" I just love the Flintlock! I'm not that accurate with it....yet, but its damn fun to shoot, my son loves it as shown in the video, Shooting flintlocks gives me a total respect of people back in those days that had to use them. Actually shooting any muzzle loader deserves more respect. You almost have to be one with the gun when loading and setting up, its part of the experience. It cant compared to the newer rifles, loading with stripper clips and magazines. Also to those of you that use flintlocks for hunting, seems so much harder and you have to be spot on with that one shot. So answering your question.... I consider both favorites in their own ways to me. Its their piece of time in history that they represent that i find the best in both types. I cant really pick just one.....I want them both LOLOL and I want more of them ;)
View attachment 128934
ROCK LOCK 'S RULE. but I shoot & like them both !.

I was at a rendezvous several years back and was helping a newbe with his flintlock and even gave him a flint from my shooting bag. At this point a member of our shooting group said.: "you know a lot about flintlocks and even carry flints in your bag, but I've shot with you for almost twenty years and never seen you shoot anything but your percussion ." I replied that I knew every reason a flint would not fire from experience , which is why when I shoot competion I shot percussion. I know it will fire.

For some unexplainable reason I instantly took to muzzleloaders from the very first exposure. I didn't receive any advice or help; I just knew. It started with a percussion rifle and a c&b revolver before I moved over to flint. I can't say why, but there was no "learning curve" for either one. I may have been reincarnated from the 18th century or more likely it was due to my OCD. I was fortunate, I know, but the "why" is still out there somewhere.

My first deer fell to a capgun, many since then have fallen to flints. True, I have three capguns but one (that first one) is relegated to hanging on the wall. The other two are treasures and have my everlasting affection. But I love flintlocks and the longrifle is the paradigm.

For some unexplainable reason I instantly took to muzzleloaders from the very first exposure. I didn't receive any advice or help; I just knew. It started with a percussion rifle and a c&b revolver before I moved over to flint. I can't say why, but there was no "learning curve" for either one. I may have been reincarnated from the 18th century or more likely it was due to my OCD. I was fortunate, I know, but the "why" is still out there somewhere.

My first deer fell to a capgun, many since then have fallen to flints. True, I have three capguns but one (that first one) is relegated to hanging on the wall. The other two are treasures and have my everlasting affection. But I love flintlocks and the longrifle is the paradigm.
I actually went out deer hunting for the first time this past season, but am glad i didnt get anything as i took an unmentionable gun out. I was really wanting to take my first deer with my flintlock, and maybe i'll have a chance this year.

I liken a Flintlock persuasion to a retired Jet Pilot reverting to a piston engined Biplane sans high tech luxury, embracing the sound and smell with a developing hands on skill; and a demanded patience that can't be dispensed with.

When we go the Flintlock path then we accept a discipline, not a mere hobby.
The journey is very much a solo experience, yet also a blending with like minded souls who mentor and challenge you to rise above just squeezing a trigger.

For me, the Flintlock pathway is the ultimate Firearms experience, yet here I am an Army 37 year Veteran who's carried more than a few Assault rifles during my time in service.
Where am I now ?
Old West guns and Flintlock Muzzleloaders....maybe its a midlife crisis thing LOL

I much prefer a caplock. I like flintlocks because they ARE very cool and as close to being a " self sufficient " firearm as I can get,but I can't shoot them worth ****,and I've found mine far less reliable than my caplocks. I've also found that shooting my flintlock gives me a flinch that transfers over to all my other firearms and thats just not cricket.

I never had an issue with percussion guns until caps became hard to find and very expensive. Flints were also sold out for a long time, but I managed to find some.

I liken a Flintlock persuasion to a retired Jet Pilot reverting to a piston engined Biplane sans high tech luxury, embracing the sound and smell with a developing hands on skill; and a demanded patience that can't be dispensed with.

When we go the Flintlock path then we accept a discipline, not a mere hobby.
The journey is very much a solo experience, yet also a blending with like minded souls who mentor and challenge you to rise above just squeezing a trigger.

For me, the Flintlock pathway is the ultimate Firearms experience, yet here I am an Army 37 year Veteran who's carried more than a few Assault rifles during my time in service.
Where am I now ?
Old West guns and Flintlock Muzzleloaders....maybe its a midlife crisis thing LOL

Coin, very well said and Thank You for your service.🇺🇸 👍
Good Luck in your future journey’s…

My first BP gun was a 1858 Remington clone, then a late friend's T/C Hawken cap lock so I was cap shooter from the beginning. Many cap locks later I got the urge for a flintlock, got a couple, one expensive, the other not. They're both OK and interesting but prefer my cap locks to go with my sixguns. When I run out of caps (not likely;)) then I will be a full fledged flintlock shooter.

I enjoy both types, but the difficulty finding caps the last 2 years has convinced me to look for a flint fowler to replace my cap lock.

One less thing to purchase and one less item to carry.

I would say it all depends on what type of shooting, has I do a lot of pest control I need a gun I can rely on when firing over 100 shots in any type of weather so it has to be a percussion I also like a flintlock single or double on fine weather days when shooting a moderate bag, shooting flying with a flintlock that is well tuned is a art and can be just has quick has a percussion and pest control over decoys is a good way obtaining this .
Feltwad

My first was a flintlock, then I got a cap & ball revolver. They are both fun but my go to is the flint. I have since gotten Percussion rifle and another revolver (gifted to me) and a couple more flintlocks; I like them both but more apt to grab a flintlock...dont have to mess with those tiny little caps.

I shoot my capper better, but I vastly prefer my flinters. As usual in our match today, I had one klatch from a dull flint that already had about 25 shots on it before I even started, and outside of that, the only cracks or floofs I heard instead of bangs came from cappers with clogged up 90* turns. I think if I were to shoot a capper seriously, it would probably be a mule ear.

I enjoy each rifle or gun for its provenance, history, aesthetics and dimensions. If it is interesting, and looks and feels great, I don't care what the ignition system is. My Purdey rifle is 175 years old. It was a flintlock and a fowler but after two trips back to the factory it's a percussion rifle. I like the look and feel and it happens to be accurate too. I designed my flintlock rifle by copying an English Sporting Rifle that was not for sale. It is beautiful, accurate and reliable. These two are my favorite among a dozen rifles but they each have different ignition systems.

Back