• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock vs Percussion Cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you have a favorite? What do you like about them? I personally really like not having to search for caps to shoot my Hawken when I can just go shoot my Jaeger flintlock. Plus the extra poof of smoke next to my face is always entertaining.

Last edited:
I started with a percussion, shot it for several decades. Never really had a desire to shoot flintlocks, then my dad got a flintlock.

Been shooting flintlocks for the better part of 25 years now...I like that if my flint goes bad and I don't have another, I can usually walk around for a bit and find some chert or jasper and fashion it into a useable flint...done this several times.

Try that with a caplock...

I have shot very little with a flintlock but am having one built currently. I keep a large supply of caps for my percussion guns so dont ever have to worry about running short. I have enjoyed both styles and will probably buy several more of each before I am done shooting.

I started off with my 50cal TC hawken, and its a blast to shoot, but i stopped shooting it for several years and when i finally got back to where i wanted to shoot muzzleloaders again cap prices and availability were both bad. Then I decided I wanted a large bore gun and ended up buying my 62 cal jaeger from a guy here, and now its one of my favorites guns in my whole collection.

I just bought my first flintlock from a member here, it’s a great starter gun, about a .69 smoothie. Shot it today and have learned a few lessons, make sure you pick, make sure the flint screw is nice and tight, and flints are very sharp, oh and one more thing, have a bandaid handy.
It is so much more fun, especially if you have someone knowledgeable to help you thru the learning curve. Thanks Bigfoot.

Like others, maybe most (?) I started out with a percussion, a T/C Hawken. Started attending the Winter snowshoe MZL biathlons, held up a 'flint 62 smoothie' [see my screen name, LOL!] ... couldn't believe how light it was and I was HOOKED! Sold off all the 'cap guns' and went into flintlocks hard, then into matchlocks, wheellocks and then all other BP ignition types since circa 1360.

Since the collection was complete, I came back full circle and got a percussion arm, just to say/show I have one of each ignition type.

Favorite? Thats a real tuff one! All my rifles are my favorites each in their own way. My favorite of my two flintlocks is a late 70's kit numbered TC Hawken .45 caliber rifle. With my cap lock 1864 Springfield (all original) rifle I love to surprise those "Black Rifle' guys when shooting. I can slam the gong at 100 yards all day long with it! It is so accurate!! Its my favorite of the two being consistent is that. As for "shock and awe" I just love the Flintlock! I'm not that accurate with it....yet, but its damn fun to shoot, my son loves it as shown in the video, Shooting flintlocks gives me a total respect of people back in those days that had to use them. Actually shooting any muzzle loader deserves more respect. You almost have to be one with the gun when loading and setting up, its part of the experience. It cant compared to the newer rifles, loading with stripper clips and magazines. Also to those of you that use flintlocks for hunting, seems so much harder and you have to be spot on with that one shot. So answering your question.... I consider both favorites in their own ways to me. Its their piece of time in history that they represent that i find the best in both types. I cant really pick just one.....I want them both LOLOL and I want more of them ;)

Last edited:
The old timers used to tell us, your first rifle may not be a flinter, but your last rifle will be one.

Worked for me. Bought a production flinter, hated it. Gave it away. Built the flinter Im using now 17 years ago. Still works every time.

Had a capper back in the 70s or 80s. Hated the malfunctions.

I started out shooting cap locks and wasn't interested in flint. Years later, I tried a decent Lancaster that someone built. I was hooked from that point on. I had the notion that all flinters had a long hang time. If you have a flintlock with a poor lock, you will be disappointed. If you have a flintlock with a properly set up lock, you will find you can't really tell the difference between cap or flint. Flintlocks are more aesthetically pleasing to me.

I started black powder with a percussion rifle but it wasn't too long before I got a flint longrifle. I own both but only 3 are percussion and the rest flintlock. I much prefer flint and shoot flint 98% of the time. In fact I seldom shoot caplocks anymore.

Shot a Brown Bess in 1977, fell in love. Started saving for a flinters, took about five months. Wanted the HF by navy Arms in .58. Got their Kentucky rifle instead as I liked the sights better
Urine poor lock, gross inexperience, had a miss fire about 10% of the time, maybe more. But my percussion stayed on the wall the after that. Just couldn’t get enough.
Built my first gun a few months later. A fantasy full stock flint Hawken. Good lock, L and R ‘waterproof English’. Grouped tiny, put deer in the freezer, rare for a Miss fire.
Been a chip and smoke in my face ever since.

45 yrs ago built my first rifle. Two piece stock 45 cal capper in my lap after work and helping with new born and it looks it today. Still have it and hits where i aim cloverleafs. I do not shoot it enough and i am sure it hates sitting in a gun rack. Did not get another for 30 years. Lefty flinter. Have more cappers than flint but i got more invested in my flinters as they are handbuilt. I enjoy the 3f's. I call it the flintlock fiddle factor. My hat is off to those that survived with them and damp powder issues. I have discovered a TC 56 cal smoothbore in the last 6 weeks. It is a capper but a whole new level of fun and learning. The next question is who prefers half stock over full stock?

45 yrs ago built my first rifle. Two piece stock 45 cal capper in my lap after work and helping with new born and it looks it today. Still have it and hits where i aim cloverleafs. I do not shoot it enough and i am sure it hates sitting in a gun rack. Did not get another for 30 years. Lefty flinter. Have more cappers than flint but i got more invested in my flinters as they are handbuilt. I enjoy the 3f's. I call it the flintlock fiddle factor. My hat is off to those that survived with them and damp powder issues. I have discovered a TC 56 cal smoothbore in the last 6 weeks. It is a capper but a whole new level of fun and learning. The next question is who prefers half stock over full stock?
I love a full stock and long barrel. Plenty of beautiful half stocks, from dainty Ohio to massive Hawkins and jumbo cape guns, but to my eye a full stock is ‘natural’

Percussion is like a fast car with an automatic transmission. It will get you there, it's still fun to drive, and there are times it's frankly easier to deal with than a manual shift, but a manual becomes an extension of the driver. Likewise I find a connection with a flintlock that's just not there in a percussion.

I've owned and shot both. I prefer flintlocks, but a good caplock rifle or pistol is worth owning as well. And I do have a soft spot for cap and ball revolvers, even if they see less use than my flint rifles and smoothbores. If you're serious about muzzleloading, it's worth owning at least one of each.

Latest posts

Back