• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock to cap lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coredneck

32 Cal
Reaction score
At the risk of starting a hate thread..a friend of friend said that the son of a friend of his (still following?) has a flinter double shotgun for sale (he thinks its a flint) so they are going to look into how much, if its a flinter ect...how hard would it be to change over to a caps lock? I know nothing about flinters outside of they use flints for spark.

You need a percussion lock that fits the mortice. Absent that you have to remove the pan.
At the touch hole you drill out the hole or remove the liner and place a drum. You then notch your lock to fit under the drum.
Fit a nipple in your drum then fit a new cock- hammer to your lock so it fits to strike your nipple.
Track of the wolf, log cabin sport shop, pecotonic and others sell drums and nipples. You may have to get a hammer in blank form and cut to fit.
Should you be able to get a lock that fits you can get a removable touch hole that’s the same size as a drum and have a convertible.
If not, you want to leave the frizzen springs holes in your lock. This was how it was done in the past.
Old guns sometimes hat the drum brazed on. I wouldn’t trust my work on that and would want a screw in one.

I wouldn't spend time and money changing a flintlock double shotgun to percussion. In almost all cases a double fainter will be worth more than a capper of the same quality due to their rarity. The only exception would be a gun of some special personal significance and not wanting to shoot flint. This isn't hating on you. If you get the flint double, sell it here in the classifieds and buy a really nice cap lock double for probably less than received for the flint.

Of course it depends on the gun, but gun for gun the value of a flintlock double far out weighs that of a cap lock. leave it as it is, sell it as it is, buy two or three Pedersoli with the profit.
Robby

Back