• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock swabbing process? How to clean between shots?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen this topic discussed at length on the American Longrifle forum. Bottom line, I stopped swabbing between shots because eventually you will build up enough residue at the bottom to block the vent or dampen the flash. Now I do not swab, but just pour the powder down and load. I learned that using a very wet patch... not dripping, but quite wet... soaked with moose milk (I used about a 1:5 ratio) and it works great. Fouling stays soft so that reloading is not nearly so difficult. I used to use patches that were too dry (Ballistol only) but the very-wet moose milk patch is MUCH better.

I also understand a perfectly sized jag will push a patch down without pushing too much fouling with it, but I've yet to find the right jag/patch combo that won't push fouling but will still snug up tight to pull the fouling out.

Stumbled on something one day that has served well to wipe between shots. Tried swabbing w/ 2x2" medical gauze using a standard loading rod tip of correct caliber. Wet it lightly w/whatever water based concoction you prefer. Seems to go down and push less ash into the bottom of the bore clogging bore up and upon withdrawal , drags enough fouling out , I seem to get extra shots w/o fouling mucking up my loading , and plugging my touch hole. Kinda like what old time tow does. Was in the medical business for 40 yr's ,and discovered this gauze thing way back. Guess it was so simple of an idea, most folks overlooked it.................oldwood

Some clubs require wiping between shots as a safety measure. For that situation I use a loose slightly damp patch on a slotted jag. The patch is used for 20 or more shots.

As stated already swabbing with a tight wet patch causes failure to fire issues.

Add alcohol to your soapy water. 50/50

Squirt some down the barrel every 5th shot and quickly swab shooting the liquid out the vent. You could shoot for eternity that way.
OK.....almost ready to begin shooting my .45 Thompson Center Hawken flintlock. However, I am a bit concerned swabbing might push fouling down into the breech. Does the TC flintlock have a patent breech to worry about?

I've shot my CVA caplock over 100 times, usually swabbing with a wet patch (soapy water) then drying with two dry patches between each shot. Can I do the same with a TC flintlock and it shoot each time?
after each shot I run an appropriate brass brush down the entire barrel and back up. This will loosen and remove that green black gunk. Invert the rifle Muzzle down and tap on a pad or small block of wood. this removes the loose reside. NEVER TAP MUZZLE INTO THE EARTH!!! Then a dry patch to clear anything that’s left. I don’t wet swap till I’m done for the day. No problem loading. No residue caught in the breech plug.

Latest posts

Back