• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't own a flintlock......yet, but would it be wise to put a piece of leather underneath the flint on top of the pan during storage for any length of time to protect the flint if the flintlock rifle or pistol somehow gets jarred?

If it gets That' jarred' some considerable tragedy must have happened ,Once you get a flintlock or handle one you will see your error the flint aught never to touch the pan . I live where we have the odd earthquake & we don't worry. If its ever ' The big one ' your flintlock will be the least of your concerns ! .
Rudyard

What's the preferred way to store a flintlock? Frizzen closed with cock resting on it (half-cock position...which leaves tension of the spring)? Or cock in relaxed position with frizzen open? I've always been taught to leave the hammer down on my percussion and CF firearms, but this is a new one to me, being my first flintlock.
Same for MLs and unmentionables: Store with no spring tension. It's why they invented snap caps for break open unmentionables.

If you are ever at an NMLRA shoot at Friendship, we require all flintlocks to be carried whether loaded or empty with frizzen up and hammer down. Cocking the hammer and dropping the frizzen is part of priming and preparing to fire and is only done on the line. Regardless of whether it is good for the spring, Hammer down and frizzen up is the only safe way to carry a flintlock.

I don't own a flintlock......yet, but would it be wise to put a piece of leather underneath the flint on top of the pan during storage for any length of time to protect the flint if the flintlock rifle or pistol somehow gets jarred?
If it gets “jarred” enough to do thst something has broken. No need for anything under the flint as there is no contact with the pan.

Thanks, all for the many replies. Cock d
Hmm my cock is down unless I am going to use it...same for the flintlock lol
I knew I would get at least one of these...LOL!;)

Thank you all for the many replies and advice. I've been storing it as suggested...cock down, frizzen open, but was concerned about leaving the barn door (see what I did there?) open during storage. I will continue to store it with springs relaxed, as I do all my other firearms.

It’s just a quote from The Patriot movie which Imthink has a whole lot of relevance today. No I’m not in the occupied Peoples District of Columbia.
Me neither. I strongly believe in protecting firearms from damage. I only brought up my question for the reason of a possible extra protection from damaging the flint in the hammer due to being bumped or dropped. Accidents happen!

Me neither. I strongly believe in protecting firearms from damage. I only brought up my question for the reason of a possible extra protection from damaging the flint in the hammer due to being bumped or dropped. Accidents happen!

Accidents do happen but I have never seen one where the flint would get damaged without damage to the firearm itself. I suppose it could happen but never felt the need to wrap the flint for such a remote possibility. Nothing says one can’t.

Accidents do happen but I have never seen one where the flint would get damaged without damage to the firearm itself. I suppose it could happen but never felt the need to wrap the flint for such a remote possibility. Nothing says one can’t.
Honestly I don't own a flintlock yet and I don't consider myself to be a flintlock "expert". But I do try to offer ideas that may be beneficial in firearms handling.

Latest posts

Back