• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Flintlock storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKirk

54 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the preferred way to store a flintlock? Frizzen closed with cock resting on it (half-cock position...which leaves tension of the spring)? Or cock in relaxed position with frizzen open? I've always been taught to leave the hammer down on my percussion and CF firearms, but this is a new one to me, being my first flintlock.

Agreed. Cock down, frizzen open. It’s obvious at that point that it’s at least unprimed.

it is an unreten rule to keep any and all tension off of any and all springs when not in use!! failure to do so will weaken them, and they may take a set.

I agree with the previous answers, but oddly in European museums they keep them frizzen closed at half-cock.
I agree with storing any spring in the relaxed position, except something like a magazine for a defense gun. My guess on the museum display is just that.......display preference!

What's the preferred way to store a flintlock? Frizzen closed with cock resting on it (half-cock position...which leaves tension of the spring)? Or cock in relaxed position with frizzen open? I've always been taught to leave the hammer down on my percussion and CF firearms, but this is a new one to me, being my first flintlock.
As almost everyone agrees; relax the springs amuch as possible. I also store all of my ML,s muzzle down soe that the filmof oil in the bores doesnt end up in tiny puddles which will soak up your powder and perhaps make for embarrassment with the first shot. I alwsyas poof off a light blank charge before I put anything hard-to-get-out down the barrel.

George Shumway told us in a ' Muzzle Blasts' article locks at half cock was the original norm but I have allways kept my flint guns at rest unless in wet conditions when I kept a quill in the vent and the lock unprimed lest it imbibe the damp air and form a black soup it do's entail delay but you are more likely getting the charge to go . I used to go not less than a week hunts in temperate rain forest so this was a consideration not often met .. I was once so sodden I literally hadn't a dry stich & wanting a goat . I wiped the pan best I could primed & it didn't fire but reprimed fast & it slew the poor over curious goat . That was the last shot of a 13 day wander through the local ranges . The rifle my 50,cal 26'' mid 18th provincial made to weigh 5 pounds . I set off with 47 pounds including pack ,food, gun, togs all up caught a 27" trout, a nice big eel, a red deer, and the hapless goat to supplement the tucker . .Well I've digressed a bit its my typing finger it do's that.
Rudyard

Latest posts

Back